What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even realize I had it, but I discovered a bottle of nearly 9 year old RJS Orange Chocolate Port laying down behind some other Ports yesterday. We were having some friends over last night, so I figured that'd be a good occasion so break it out. It was fantastic. I haven't made any of these port kits in years, but I'm thinking I might have to do another.

I have not yet tried the Montrachet. (Note: "Pinot Chardonnay" is an obselescent term for Chardonnay.) As most of you know, Burgundy Chards can be age-worthy. In fact, a websearch reveals that bottles from this vintner in the 1970 to 1976 range are listed on various winesearcher-type sites for $150 to $200 bones. Of course, that is if they were stored in good conditions. :slp I hope to report good news on this one, but I doubt it! The color on it looks like it is badly oxidized.

Nope! The Montrachet was, unsurpisingly, a bust. Again, very sherry-like.

IMG_1950.JPG

Received this as an anniversary gift several years ago. Never opened it because it's way beyond our pay grade. Well, today is our 40th so it's now or never. Took the boat, the wine and a charcuterie tray to Lake Union in view of Seattle city lights. It was a fine wine to be sure. But if there is any true value in its inflated price, it was lost on my uneducated palate.
IMG_9568.jpg

Received this as an anniversary gift several years ago. Never opened it because it's way beyond our pay grade. Well, today is our 40th so it's now or never. Took the boat, the wine and a charcuterie tray to Lake Union in view of Seattle city lights. It was a fine wine to be sure. But if there is any true value in its inflated price, it was lost on my uneducated palate.
View attachment 75550

Congrats, and Happy Anniversary!

I didn't even realize I had it, but I discovered a bottle of nearly 9 year old RJS Orange Chocolate Port laying down behind some other Ports yesterday. We were having some friends over last night, so I figured that'd be a good occasion so break it out. It was fantastic. I haven't made any of these port kits in years, but I'm thinking I might have to do another.
I have some port of that age as well. I give them as gifts during the holidays, and my hubby gives them to co-workers; had one guy ask what we do with left-over port, and we couldn't answer the question, and now he knows why. The coffee port is super popular with my family so they said they want all the bottles next time I make it! Need to do another batch.

had one guy ask what we do with left-over port, and we couldn't answer the question
I bottle the ports in splits, so I've yet to have leftovers ... it also makes them go a LOT farther, having 30 bottles instead of 15.

Folks are warned that if I don't get the bottle back, they will not get another one ... ;)

Gonna try!

I mean, not to beat a dead horse or anything...
beatdeadhorse5.gif

Latest posts

Back