What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . I'm a member of a wine club, I'm a so called Naked Angel :i.
Interesting. You're from the UK so join a Wine Club that offers California and generally West Coast wines. I'm from the U.S and I am a Laithwaiter (I think I made up that term), a UK-based Company. Plus, we keep our clothes on!:D

Interesting. You're from the UK so join a Wine Club that offers California and generally West Coast wines. I'm from the U.S and I am a Laithwaiter (I think I made up that term), a UK-based Company.
I was in Laithwaite for a couple of years. I never had a bad wine, the worst was merely "good". The periodic Mystery Cases were fun, but ya gotta have an open mind, as ya never know what yer gonna get.

The plus side was that I tried wines I would never otherwise heard of. The down side was getting more of any wine was pretty much impossible. The up side to that is that the next case would contain interesting wines. 🙂

What are you putting in it?
Nuttin'!

Other than gin & tonic or margaritas, I usually drink liquor straight up, and I rarely drink sodas. I like sodas, but if a drink has a high calorie count, it better contain alcohol!

Mineral water helps ensure I drink something other than coffee, wine, and liquor ....

😜

In the past I'm mentioned Vivinio, a phone app I use for wine selection. Take a picture of a label and it matches to consumer ratings. So far, I've not picked a bad one using this app.

Until now. The overall consumer rating was 3.6 out of 5, which so far has been an acceptable wine. I opened this one and found it to be raw and acidic. Wow! The flavors were raw, in general, not a good combination.

I opened Vivinio up and checked the rating -- nope, I didn't misread it. But upon closer examination, the picture is the 2011 vintage, while my bottle is 2018, and the fine print says the ratings are across all vintages. This makes sense, as trying to identify the year on labels is nearly impossible.

Unaerated, the acidic nature was very disappointing. Aeration softened it, and with food it actually went well. I left the bottle on the counter with the aerator in place. The following night, when finishing the bottle, the wine had mellowed. Still best with food, but better than it had been. IMO this one is too young and needs to age another year.

I still recommend Vivinio, but when looking at the rating, look at the fine print. And while I've been a fan of aerators for years, this taught me that slow and steady (time to breath) may win the race.

garnacha.jpg

I use WS or WE reviews (always for a specific year) as a wine is not the same each year (as we all know). When in doubt and especially when I get an online offer from "Last Bottle" or WTSO or "Full Pull" etc I always go to Cellar Tracker and see what the "collective hive" has to say. CT is usually VERY conservative in their public ratings so if its getting good reviews their your probably very safe purchasing something blind.

@ibglowin, my preference is to use reviews or go someplace like TotalWine, where I can get qualified help. The value of Vivinio is that I can walk into a grocery store and use more than guessing. I've purchased 100+ bottles using it, and this was the first dud, so overall it's been positive. But it was a lesson learned.

Interesting. You're from the UK so join a Wine Club that offers California and generally West Coast wines. I'm from the U.S and I am a Laithwaiter (I think I made up that term), a UK-based Company. Plus, we keep our clothes on!:D
Naked wines do offer a few Californian wines. One great thing about this club is that if you have a wine that's not up to standard, or a wine you don't like, they give a no quibble guarantee, money back or replacement. I recently tried a Pedro Ximenez sweet wine. This was so intensely sweet it made your teeth and ears zing., completely undrinkable. Money paid back into my account no problem. Lady on the phone said pour it over ice cream or dump it.
I'm saving it for future back sweetening.

Congrats Paul and welcome to the Club! :db

Yet another minor celebration at the Grapes household! Today was the last full day of work. I still have some things to clean up and straighten out, but this was pretty much it. Bittersweet, but a hell of a lot more sweet than bitter! :)

View attachment 74771

Latest posts

Back