What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friendly word of warning to any Fellow Scotch Drinkers who might see a bottle of Glenfiddich 14 year Bourbon Barrel Aged Scotch. Just returned a bottle to Costco. I have never tasted a Scotch that had such a soapy taste to it. You might want to steer clear of it. Not pleasant at all. The glasses my wife and I had went down the drain. That's a first for me. But loved Costco no questions asked return policy.

A friendly word of warning to any Fellow Scotch Drinkers who might see a bottle of Glenfiddich 14 year Bourbon Barrel Aged Scotch. Just returned a bottle to Costco. I have never tasted a Scotch that had such a soapy taste to it. You might want to steer clear of it. Not pleasant at all. The glasses my wife and I had went down the drain. That's a first for me. But loved Costco no questions asked return policy.
Man, that's too bad. I had some Glenlivet 14 yr cognac cask last week. It was some nice juice.

Pizza wine! I chose this Pinot based upon ratings in Vivinio, where it scored 3.7 from 209 consumer reviews.

Vivinio is a phone app -- use it to take a picture of a label, it matches (when it can), and displays consumer ratings. I use the app when I don't have good help in a wine store, and I've had great success with it. The cost of this is that the company behind the app is constantly trying to sell me wine ... but I can live with it.

wine.jpg

Pizza wine! I chose this Pinot based upon ratings in Vivinio, where it scored 3.7 from 209 consumer reviews.

Vivinio is a phone app -- use it to take a picture of a label, it matches (when it can), and displays consumer ratings. I use the app when I don't have good help in a wine store, and I've had great success with it. The cost of this is that the company behind the app is constantly trying to sell me wine ... but I can live with it.

View attachment 74134

Vivino is one of my suppliers. They actually front the transaction for other wineries and outlets. Free shipping with 6 bottles or $99, and if you price check, they have some deals. In a few days, a truck rolls up and the driver carries it to you. I don't have him trained to pull the cork on it yet, but I'm working on it!

If you buy from them, you can use it the other way around. Choose your wine variety and set it to cough up only 4.0+ or 4.5+ ratings. Click. Then wait. Then... Ooooo... here comes the truck! :)

If you buy from them, you can use it the other way around. Choose your wine variety and set it to cough up only 4.0+ or 4.5+ ratings. Click. Then wait. Then... Ooooo... here comes the truck!
I subscribed to Laithwaite for a couple of years -- got a quarterly case for a good price. Pick red, white, or mixed. Never had anything that was less than "good", and it was a great way to try wines I'd not find otherwise.

I also liked their mystery cases. Couple times a year they cleared odd-n-ends from the warehouse. It was a complete crap shoot regarding what ya got, but every wine I received was at least worth the ~$10 they cost. For me it was fun, as I'm willing to try just about anything -- some of the wines (especially whites) were stuff I'd never heard of before receiving a bottle or two.

If you're fussy, it's not a good option, but for those that are willing to try new wines, it was a bonanza. One of my b-in-law's was in an "I only drink Cabernet Sauvignon <SNIFF>" phase at the time, but it didn't seem to stop him from drinking the Rioja I brought. 😂

Trying to keep my hands off the limited supply of gluten-free home brew so the Wifie can drink it, while a new supply ferments. Yuengling says this has Hallertau and Saaz hops in it. Tried it. Meh... too heavy handed for me. I like their dark and original best. Oh well, time to drink my mistake! :D

IMG_2193.jpg

I subscribed to Laithwaite for a couple of years -- got a quarterly case for a good price. Pick red, white, or mixed. Never had anything that was less than "good", and it was a great way to try wines I'd not find otherwise.

I also liked their mystery cases. Couple times a year they cleared odd-n-ends from the warehouse. It was a complete crap shoot regarding what ya got, but every wine I received was at least worth the ~$10 they cost. For me it was fun, as I'm willing to try just about anything -- some of the wines (especially whites) were stuff I'd never heard of before receiving a bottle or two.

If you're fussy, it's not a good option, but for those that are willing to try new wines, it was a bonanza. One of my b-in-law's was in an "I only drink Cabernet Sauvignon <SNIFF>" phase at the time, but it didn't seem to stop him from drinking the Rioja I brought. 😂

While I will drink homemade plonk readily, I'm quality fussy on a budget with my bought wines. I blame ibglowin and this thread for that. Just can't decide in which order I should blame them. 🤣 Holy crap, I have seen bottles on here that equal my weekly food budget. 🤣

Latest posts

Back