What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tumbler of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, straight...

...possibly two before the night is over...

...or three given the way this week is going so far

A tumbler of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, straight...

...possibly two before the night is over...

...or three given the way this week is going so far
One of the best sipping rums! Have you tried Zacapa?

Tonight- gewurztraminer that I made from a kit. I had about 1/2 gallon from the bottom of the barrel that sat on the lees too long. It has a nice kick to it but the flavor still has a certain amount of a yeast flavor to it. The rest of the 5 gallon batch is fine, but I knew this was not the best of the batch. Anyway, it's drinkable but certainly not the best I've had. Of course with age it will all improve.

I bought a selection of reds under $15. Most were mediocre as expected. This one was a standout. For $14 I'm impressed.IMG_9383.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Toss-up between Diplomatico and Zacapa for me. I like 'em both a lot. Also, try Pilar

I recently learned zacapa(supposedly) adds sugar and caramel coloring at bottling to make it look and taste more aged than it actually is. Pilar is next on my list, along with Flor de Cana, Ron Abuelo, Smith and Cross, El Dorado, and Kirk and Sweeney

RL Seale 10y has so far been one of my favorite affordable regular sipping bottles

I recently learned zacapa(supposedly) adds sugar and caramel coloring at bottling to make it look and taste more aged than it actually is. Pilar is next on my list, along with Flor de Cana, Ron Abuelo, Smith and Cross, El Dorado, and Kirk and Sweeney

RL Seale 10y has so far been one of my favorite affordable regular sipping bottles
Added sugar and caramel color is a common practice. Many rums, including Diplomatico do this. It may come as a surprise, but Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva has 41 grams/liter while Zacapa has 26 grams/liter. Sweet rum is good rum? - REFINED VICES

Did somebody mention sipping rhums? I have 7 bottles of this pineapple, fruit and spice rhum left that I had to order out of D.C. (out of the second case I've ordered) after a friend came home from Haiti and turned me on to it. I gave him 6 bottles for Christmas this year. Can't get it here, and I have tried. Lowest price I have seen is $15.99 a bottle. 70 proof, cane molasses rhum, bottled in Port au Prince. Mmmm...Since 1862... I actually like this better than Barbancourt's expensive offerings, and they have some that are way up there.

IMG_2140.jpg

This distillery is 10 miles from my farm. When he's cooking, I can often smell it. He makes his real money shipping semi tanker loads of white whiskey to boutique brands, which then barrel age it and brand it with their own names. But he has a small bottling line and runs off a couple varieties for the tourist trade and some retail. Tonight's sips.

IMG_2144.jpg

Did somebody mention sipping rhums? I have 7 bottles of this pineapple, fruit and spice rhum left that I had to order out of D.C. (out of the second case I've ordered) after a friend came home from Haiti and turned me on to it. I gave him 6 bottles for Christmas this year. Can't get it here, and I have tried. Lowest price I have seen is $15.99 a bottle. 70 proof, cane molasses rhum, bottled in Port au Prince. Mmmm...Since 1862... I actually like this better than Barbancourt's expensive offerings, and they have some that are way up there.

View attachment 73167
Pango rhum, one of the few flavored rums that I enjoy. From Barbancourt, a distinguished distillery in Haiti

Latest posts

Back