What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I have had from Jacob's Creek has been excellent to awesome, quality above the price point IMO, so I picked up the last six of these for the cellar. Hmmm.... this one's now chilling... oh, the anticipation... I do love a good shiraz...

IMG_2069.jpg

Everything I have had from Jacob's Creek has been excellent to awesome, quality above the price point IMO, so I picked up the last six of these for the cellar. Hmmm.... this one's now chilling... oh, the anticipation... I do love a good shiraz...

View attachment 72198
Following your lead.
PXL_20210305_011451912.jpg

My new purchase was tight out of the bottle, needed some breath, so it will benefit from another 2-5 years in the cellar (~ 5 years or more from bottling instead of the current 3). I've cellar-aged some other JC offerings that long and they have benefited. Yours should have been just about where I like it.

Well, ya can't win 'em all. This Bordeaux was not worth what I paid for it, IMO. Small on the palate, and the first glass tasted green. I rolled the bottle after the first glass and it improved some. Three more are in the cellar but I don't think a couple-three years will improve them. Yet I will try. On the plus side, very fancy packaging, lol. Your mileage may vary.

IMG_2104.jpg

A couple of nights ago I made Chicken Thighs in Puff Pastry, and when looking for a white wine, this caught my eye. I haven't opened one since last fall (maybe summer). I'm very pleased with the result. Gotta ration it as there are only 22 bottles left and I want a few bottles left in 2028.

metheglin-02.jpg

tonight the wife is making pork tenderloin in a mustard cream sauce. She asked me to open a white, and this one jumped out at me. This is a Winexpert LE2018 kit. Overall it's tasty, although I was hoping for more Gewurztraminer character. I've got about a case left, and I'm using it up as the need arises. I don't expect this one has a long shelf life, probably 3 or 4 years max.

But this is ok. Most wines do not have a 5 year shelf life, much less 10, especially whites. It's here to enjoy!

symphony-gewurztraminer.jpg

I'm enjoying some wine made from Norton grapes by a gentleman here who has a vineyard. He has given me 4 bottles of wine to enjoy and try from 4 of the different grapes he has in his vineyard. He will give me cuttings from the ones I decide I like the best. He has also become my vineyard mentor. I'm really enjoying this!

In San Antonio this week. Finally got to visit my mom yesterday in her assisted living facility. Got to go in and visit her in her apartment for a couple hours. First time in 16 months.

Made a Costco run as well and they had plenty of the new K Vine (both the Rose' and Chardonnay) on hand. Picked up a bottle of the Chard last night and had it with dinner. I would give it an 89. Nice and crisp with the usual Chard notes. A little oak as well. No MLF. For $9.99 a steal.

1616506162251.jpeg

Last edited:
Back