What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got our WSJ red wine intro offer delivered today. 14 bottles 2 glasses. Paired the 4.1 Toscana with Pasta ala vodka. Really nice wine. Then after dinner we got a bottle of my 6 mo old Toscana to compare with Italian import. Same deep color - Wife said not quite as dry and slightly less Tannic. Actually preferred mine. That was really good to hear. Now we will finish both bottles tonight with dinner. 3F1F7F13-2E89-43D5-BA6E-4807F2EE0669.jpeg

We can now get a commercial North Carolina muscadine here at Wally World. I first had this while in Black Mountain, NC. They have a few different "flavors." I like their white best (it is Scuppernong grapes). Not as good as mine, which won medals, but pretty easy to grab onto at about $6 a bottle. :D

IMG_1885.jpg

2010 Avennia Arnaut Syrah. Still needed 45 mins of air to get approachable. I am giving it mouth to mouth though now and it seems to be coming around nicely and right in the sweet spot to boot.

Perfect pairing with a Green Chile Cheeseburger with pattie's made from Brisket and Chuck Roast! :db

1606093579688.jpeg

Last edited:
Decided to open a 2012 Columbia Gorge Gewurztraminer to have with turkey. It's hard to believe that a white wine can go the long haul, but this one from the Gorge is proof that it is possible. I made this back then mostly for my sisters that like a slightly off dry version, gave most of it to them, but I managed to keep a handful of bottles in my cellar on reserve.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Gewurztraminer 2012.JPG

I went with Oregon Pinot Noir as well, though not as fancy at @ibglowin. 2017 Elouan, which certainly held it's own but didn't overwhelm. I 'pre-gamed' with a tall glass of my 2019 Viognier from local grapes (the rest of that bottle went into the gravy). A few hours later, topped off the evening with 1.5 fingers of Makers 46. Certainly had my share today, though spaced out. Regardless, I'll sleep well tonight. Now it's all about hydration. :D

Last edited:
More T-Day leftovers call for more Oregon Pinot Noir!

2014 Figgins "Toil". One of the best Oregon Pinots you can buy for the $$. This one is my last of 3 for 2014 and it was (still) flat out amazing.

Now on to the 2015's, 2016's, 2017's....... :db

IMG_6217.jpg

You'd think this was a wine forum or something, LOL.

Laid back Friday evening, almost worked 6 hours today, I'm tired! Simple session bitter in the English tradition. Much lighter than the picture shows (dark background). Only dangerous thing is that the 5 gallon keg is about 5 steps away in the garage.

11-27-20_bitter.jpg

Finally got around to popping a bottle of that World Wide Stout last night as we got together with some good friends and chilled around their fire pit. It was the perfect sipper after some simple burgers and Pinot Noir. Glad I still have two of these left, but may got to TW and grab some more to age. The four years on my current stash is working nicely.

Bottle #2
2015 Tuscan
85% sangio 10% cab. 5% merlot
13%abv

bolder and well balanced. Matching perfectly with the meal! Our Italian thanksgiving meal is always traditional & straight forward spaghetti meatballs sausage & ravioli. (everything from 9th street aside from meatballs & gravy which were homemade). And tons of deserts

Thanksgiving < Sunday after thanksgiving
6F99548F-3868-493F-8B0D-1B7DA150F7B9.jpeg8D409211-7086-4BA0-A8BC-199799B57F4F.jpeg

My wife and I decided we needed an Advent Calendar. Costco to the rescue. The first today was a French Merlot. Very tasty, what a nose, you could smell the fruit as soon as we popped the cork. Nice dark cherries 🍒 , red fruit. And the taste is very mineralized and more taste of red fruits, cherries, oakiness.
PXL_20201201_225839954.jpgPXL_20201201_225832138.jpg

My wife and I decided we needed an Advent Calendar. Costco to the rescue. The first today was a French Merlot. Very tasty, what a nose, you could smell the fruit as soon as we popped the cork. Nice dark cherries 🍒 , red fruit. And the taste is very mineralized and more taste of red fruits, cherries, oakiness.
View attachment 69011View attachment 69013

I saw that box at local Costco for $99

Latest posts

Back