What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you may recall that I had the good fortune of spending a week walking in that area. We started in Montalcino, and walked to San Quirico, Bagno Vignoni, Pienza, and then to Montepulciano. Like you, we enjoyed a fair amount of Brunello and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano on that trip, as you can imagine! I also liked their little brothers, Rosso di Montalcino and the Rosso di Montepulciano, which, as I'm sure you noticed were available for a lot less dosh. And I don't recall encountering any as light as the one you showed.

Hmmm, I just pulled up some pix to post, and they are not as dark as I remember them! Well, here are some pictures to remind you of your trip:

View attachment 62726View attachment 62727View attachment 62728View attachment 62729View attachment 62730

You lost me with the first pic. Brunello from a rocks glass?! Barbaric! :p

Yes, I recall that you were "The two Americans who walk"! :) In a previous exchange here on WMT, we identified a ruined house that you coveted that we both had walked past, IIRC.

Yes, you are 100% correct about the bath at Bagno Vignoni.

The walk was fine. It was about 8 miles a day, but you had all day to do it. The thing about hiking from one Tuscan hill town to another, however, is that by definition there will be a hard climb at the end of the day! There was a "cheat" involved. We used a tour company (Walking Tours of Italy: GIROSOLE Guided Walking Holidays and Self-Guided Adventures), and they transport your bags for you from one town to the next. So all we had to carry was a daypack with lunch and wine! It was really a heavenly trip. We need to do it (or one like it in another region) again.
Paul,
If you walked past my "dream home" then you also must have walked past La Capella Della Madonna di Vitaleta, one of the most famous landmarks of all of Tuscany. I remember there were sheep in a nearby field. We packed a lunch and some wine and had a "picnic" near the chapel.
1592886286954.png

Paul,
If you walked past my "dream home" then you also must have walked past La Capella Della Madonna di Vitaleta, one of the most famous landmarks of all of Tuscany. I remember there were sheep in a nearby field. We packed a lunch and some wine and had a "picnic" near the chapel.
View attachment 62745

A picture I took there has been the "wallpaper" shot on my desktop for some years now!

I am particularly fond of the pic from the apse end. (Rocky will know that this is not a typo :) )

DSCN1639.JPG.jpgDSCN1642.JPG.jpg

Jim, Is there any information on the bottle? Is the wine from Fruili? I see it has the DOC rating. Just wondering. What was the price in your area? Thanks.

According to the label, it is from Fruili. And only $6.99 if I recall correctly. In my opinion, a steal at that price.

Somehow I found a perfect white wine to go with dinner tonight. '17 Syncline Picpoul. Amazing wine. Hard to find Picpoul grown in the US. I buy it every chance I get. It's just that good. It's almost like a cross between SB and a Chardonnay. Loads of lemon and crisp acidity with an actual decent finish on the pallet. 100% Boushey Vineyard (Yakima Valley) They produced only 8 barrels of this wine. I have found it as well in Paso so it's around if you look. If you want something different and food friendly. This is the wine your looking for!

IMG_5552.JPG

Latest posts

Back