What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I opened a bottle of my 2017 peach which was made with a gallon of Vintners Best concentrate and 10 or so lbs of peaches and a bottle of 2019 peach which yielded 10 gallons using 120 lbs of peaches and 3 gallons of Chardonnay concentrate. The 2017 was back sweetened and the 2019 was dry. Talk about a tale of 2 wines they, were so different. The ABV of the 17 was 10 - 11% and probably perfect the 19 is around 15% and too high. I prefer a dry over a sweet but the 17 was just a perfect balance.

308B4C16-3362-4954-8927-634848365C39.jpeg
My Coronavirus Blend in the glass. Sorta new’ish but I bottled some up for top-up stock and topping up tonights tomato basil bolognese and the chef!

Cheers,
Johann

Trying one of the two bottles of 2016 Turley Casa Nuestra, never had it before. WA says: “A new bottling for Turley, the 2016 Casa Nuestra hails from a site in northeast Saint Helena planted with an eclectic mix of red and white varieties. Offering up complex aromas of cherries, black raspberries, plums, licorice and subtle petroleum jelly, it's a full-bodied, ample wine that's quite deep and firmly structured in profile, though its tannins are largely concealed by fleshy, dramatic fruit. (drink 2018-2032)”

Mostly Zin with some other grapes mixed in, sort of a field blend I suppose. Beautiful nose, very big and bold, definite winner on a lovely Friday evening.
5B1598DA-42CF-4D24-8E5A-AA07131EC3EA.jpeg

It’s a two bottle night (we’ve dispensed with school nights and weekend nights, we now have one and two bottle nights) and the first is this 2013 Castello di Amorosa Sangiovese to pair with our Italian food for dinner. I picked these up pretty cheap when I was at the castle a few years back and didn’t really expect a whole lot, and was very pleasantly surprised. A very well made example of Sangiovese, smooth with good acidity and lots of bright red fruit flavors, glad I have more!!
C71E4CD5-AD21-4DE4-B372-E6153973B406.jpeg

Reaching way back in the cellar. The cork looked like it was brand new when extracted. Just pulled a 3lb Tri-Tip off the grill to rest.

View attachment 59852

How was it? Did some filets tonight for me + the wife. Sous vide with butter, marjoram, S&P and some fresh garlic. Then seared over lump charcoal. Was really craving a nice big red. 5 more days!

Awesome. It has held up very well indeed. Tannins were smooth and well integrated. Perfect oak. Still plenty of acid to have a nice long finish and enough to to cut through the Tri Tip. When I looked at the bottle I noticed what looked to be some residual glue. It dawned on me this was one of my very first purchases after WS named the 2005 CC Reserve Cabernet the #1 Wine back in 2009. That wine was long gone in any store so I purchased a bottle of what was available at a local wineshop in Santa fe. This has been laying down in my cellar since then. The wine was made by the same winemaker (Ray Einberger) who made the 2005 vintage. He retired back in 2014 from CSM. These (WA) wines will last a long time if you have the right storage conditions.

How was it? Did some filets tonight for me + the wife. Sous vide with butter, marjoram, S&P and some fresh garlic. Then seared over lump charcoal. Was really craving a nice big red. 5 more days!

Did a low n slow for 4 hours on 2 racks of baby backs today while I worked in the yard, which we polished off with some mixed veggies and baked beans. Just settling in for the evening with a 2016 Venge Silecieux. Decent wine, but not one of his best. Nice fruity bouquet, jammy, lots of dark fruit, just find the finish on the short side, shortly after you swallow the wine, the flavor / aroma goes with it. Tasty nonetheless.
3467D023-CF35-41AC-911E-EFF79AB205E0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back