What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hows it holding up?

Still really nice, but flattening out a little. One bottle left after this one. Corks were from my first order made with Lafitte and they were a little 'aged' when I bottled the last few batches with 'em.

My '11's have plateaued for sure (The FVW Trip). '12's still need some air but not much. '13's need more air for sure. All had a dose of Tannin FT Rouge pre ferment.

^^^

Another great Spanish wine at Costco for a crazy good price.
I found this description of the "Caracol"
"Grapes: 55% Monastrell; 25% Cabernet Sauvignon; 20% Syrah. Tannin: Med. Acidity: Med. Notes: Uncertified organic. 60 year old vines. Partially oak aged. This wine is based on grapes from 60 year old vines of the local variety M"

That has not made it to my Costco yet but will watch for it.

I did get a couple of the Pruno Magnums the other day, which in past years has been fantastic and reasonably priced. They need a couple more years before drinking based on past experience, but highly recommended if they get to your Costco.

^^^

Another great Spanish wine at Costco for a crazy good price.
I found this description of the "Caracol"
"Grapes: 55% Monastrell; 25% Cabernet Sauvignon; 20% Syrah. Tannin: Med. Acidity: Med. Notes: Uncertified organic. 60 year old vines. Partially oak aged. This wine is based on grapes from 60 year old vines of the local variety M"

That has not made it to my Costco yet but will watch for it.

I did get a couple of the Pruno Magnums the other day, which in past years has been fantastic and reasonably priced. They need a couple more years before drinking based on past experience, but highly recommended if they get to your Costco.

Thanks for the info.
For the price this is a very good wine, I'd definitely buy more.

The antepenultimate bottle of my long-term experiment to see if I can age $9 bottles of wine into $10 bottles of wine! :D Not fantastic, but nothing wrong with this one.

Okay, I just checked my notes, and it looks like I spent $13 on this. It is still pretty fine, but I think it is past its peak. Or, perhaps I should say that the fruit is fading and the tannins and minerality are showing up a bit more. Seven years ago, my notes said: "Vanilla, plum, brandy, rubbing alcohol (!), baking spices, toffee. Smooth." Maybe I was more creative with my descriptors seven years ago!

The last two were scheduled to be consumed this spring. I think I will stick with that.

DSCN3605.jpg

Paul, what temp would you say this wine was "cellared" at over the period? What are your storage conditions like for your wine?

It is in a basement wine closet, below grade. The temperature changes slowly and seasonally. It spends most of the winter months in the mid-to-high 50s, and most of the summer months in the high 60s, maybe reaching low 70s.

Mike, I am curious why you ask? Did my description of the wine's condition (which was fairly positive, I thought) make you suspect it had been ill-treated? As I said, nothing wrong with it.

EDIT: oops, that sounded defensive. I actually really want to know!

Latest posts

Back