What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rocky We're in Chantilly, VA. We have several in the area now, but one opened up about a mile from the house last year.
Yeah, we were up there when they started expanding out of the Upstate New York area. I hoped that they would move toward Ohio but the closest they got to me was Erie, PA. I think they concentrated on the east coast states. Great store, one stop shopping, high quality and reasonable prices.

Made a quick Costco run today along with picking up Mrs IB at the airport. She needed a grand baby fix for Xmas. I can't do 10 days out in LA.......

Costco had lots of the Troublemaker for around $13 and then I see they have the J Lohr Cab Sauv for like $11. The J. Lohr is a much better wine for less $$ IMHO. More Tannin for sure not by leaps and bounds but definitely noticeable. If your looking for something to bring to a party or give as a quick easy gift the J Lohr is definitely the more interesting wine.

My first impression was the lack of tannin. Definitely a new world wine, but enjoyable. In line with what seems to be popular these days, though not overly so. Good amount of fruit, a hint of RS and very dark. I paid $13 and wasn't disappointed, but wasn't overwhelmed either. If it were available under $12 I'd say great buy. At $13, not bad.

Made a quick Costco run today along with picking up Mrs IB at the airport. She needed a grand baby fix for Xmas. I can't do 10 days out in LA.......

Costco had lots of the Troublemaker for around $13 and then I see they have the J Lohr Cab Sauv for like $11. The J. Lohr is a much better wine for less $$ IMHO. More Tannin for sure not by leaps and bounds but definitely noticeable. If your looking for something to bring to a party or give as a quick easy gift the J Lohr is definitely the more interesting wine.

I've been a fan of the J Lohr for a while. Good value.

Popped a bottle of Cellar Craft Showcase Old Vine Zin that I started in April of 2012. :eek: The third wine I ever made. Definitely past it's peak (though I'm not sure my methods at the time would've allowed it to reach it's potential), but not bad.

Y'all, I'm sittin' heah in the deep South with a pizza in the oven and some 3-year-old muscadine and watching the lightning off to the west, just a-waitin' for the big thunderstorms to roll over me. The orange dot is where I'm a-settin' just north of the Tennessee-Alabama line. Got the yard furniture all inside. Fixin' to pull the battery out of my cellphone, it's going off every 2 minutes. A man needs some peace and quiet before the storm. Just heard my first thunder...

IMG_1424.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 5.42.21 PM.png

Y'all, I'm sittin' heah in the deep South with a pizza in the oven and some 3-year-old muscadine and watching the lightning off to the west, just a-waitin' for the big thunderstorms to roll over me. The orange dot is where I'm a-settin' just north of the Tennessee-Alabama line. Got the yard furniture all inside. Fixin' to pull the battery out of my cellphone, it's going off every 2 minutes. A man needs some peace and quiet before the storm. Just heard my first thunder...

A bit deeper in the South, our action is still a couple hours away......
357B79AC-4707-4A77-8D74-AA8D4FBE8783.png

Summary of recent events: Muscadine wine, Netflix, big wind, thunderstorms, hangover. Hope it went well for everyone else.

Jim, I’m about 30 minutes south of ya! It’s fixing to get ugly here as well.

Mike

I had NO IDEA there was anybody here that close! I'm guessing Huntsville, where I work. Hope you rode it out well.

Hey Jim, you are correct, live & work in Huntsville.

Got a little rough here last night! Hope all is well in your neck of the woodys.

Mike

Hey Jim, you are correct, live & work in Huntsville.

Got a little rough here last night! Hope all is well in your neck of the woodys.

Mike

Great place, Huntsville. I used to travel there frequently in the mid 1980's when I was working. We had a supplier there who made some sub-assemblies for us, SCI. I remember staying in a hotel that was just across the street from a lake and I recall a great restaurant that was composed of an old railroad car attached to a building. Went to a baseball game one night to see one of the "can't miss" local stars who hit 3 prodigious HRs that night. His name was Jose Canseco.

Great place, Huntsville. I used to travel there frequently in the mid 1980's when I was working. We had a supplier there who made some sub-assemblies for us, SCI. I remember staying in a hotel that was just across the street from a lake and I recall a great restaurant that was composed of an old railroad car attached to a building. Went to a baseball game one night to see one of the "can't miss" local stars who hit 3 prodigious HRs that night. His name was Jose Canseco.

It is way different now than the 1980s. My wife's family had a farm nearby in Tennessee, so we visited in the 1980s. We moved here in 1990. I live across the state line in Tennessee but work in Huntsville. The place is booming. SCI stood for Space Craft Incorporated and it was owned by Olin King. I work at The University of Alabama in Huntsville and I sit in one of two buildings King donated to UAH when he moved his firm. Mine is Shelbie King Hall (his wife's name). Behind it is Olin King Technology Hall.

It is way different now than the 1980s. My wife's family had a farm nearby in Tennessee, so we visited in the 1980s. We moved here in 1990. I live across the state line in Tennessee but work in Huntsville. The place is booming. SCI stood for Space Craft Incorporated and it was owned by Olin King. I work at The University of Alabama in Huntsville and I sit in one of two buildings King donated to UAH when he moved his firm. Mine is Shelbie King Hall (his wife's name). Behind it is Olin King Technology Hall.

Jim, are you saying that SCI is no longer in Huntsville? (BTW, and I could be mistaken, but I thought SCI stood for Space Craft Industries) I was Manager of Manufacturing Engineering for a division of Kodak back then and they were building sub assemblies for us. Very good supplier and very nice people. I do remember Olin King whom I met when we awarded them the contract.

As an aside, I went to Georgia Tech in the late 50's to early 60's and we had a number of students from Huntsville with strong German accents. I was not aware of why that was until later when I learned of the work being done in Huntsville on the US space program with Von Braun and his team. I only remember one name and that was Rolf Durer (SP?). Really nice fellow and, no surprise, a great student.

Jim, are you saying that SCI is no longer in Huntsville? (BTW, and I could be mistaken, but I thought SCI stood for Space Craft Industries) I was Manager of Manufacturing Engineering for a division of Kodak back then and they were building sub assemblies for us. Very good supplier and very nice people. I do remember Olin King whom I met when we awarded them the contract.

As an aside, I went to Georgia Tech in the late 50's to early 60's and we had a number of students from Huntsville with strong German accents. I was not aware of why that was until later when I learned of the work being done in Huntsville on the US space program with Von Braun and his team. I only remember one name and that was Rolf Durer (SP?). Really nice fellow and, no surprise, a great student.

Latest posts

Back