What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taste testing a barrel aged Master Vintner Sommelier Select Old Vine Cabernet. I'm six months into a twelve month aging. I've always been surprised by descriptions of wine that say the nose is like moss and forest floor. But, that is exactly what I'm getting. Not the goal, for sure. I'm thieving out of a 15 gallon french oak barrel - wine has been in there six months with the anticipation that it will be there another six months or until June 2020. I hope this doesn't hold 'cause forest floor and moss is seriously not the goal. The taste is not really an attack on my palate but kinda meh. I'll report my finding in the next couple of months.

Last edited:
I'm taste testing a barrel aged Master Vintner Sommelier Select Old Vine Cabernet. I'm six months into a twelve month aging. I've always been surprised by descriptions of wine that say the nose is like moss and forest floor. But, that is exactly what I'm getting. Not the goal, for sure. I'm thieving out of a 15 gallon french oak barrel - wine has been in there six months with the anticipation that it will be there another six months or until June 2020. I hope this doesn't hold 'cause forest floor and moss is seriously not the goal. The taste is not really an attack on my palate but kinda meh. I'll report my finding in the next couple of months.

Hoping it evolves for you.

Has anyone tried this, any good?

I've not tried it, but found you a review. Three people have rated it an average of 86.7. There is only one written review which scores it 89:

"We always look forward to drinking the Nouveau on the first day whenever we can and have labels we have saved from Georges DeBouef bottles going back over many years. This had more fruit than some years and certainly more body. Often these can be quite watery, but this year was not so should point to a good vintage!"

Sounds pretty good, hope you enjoy it!!

I've not tried it, but found you a review. Three people have rated it an average of 86.7. There is only one written review which scores it 89:

"We always look forward to drinking the Nouveau on the first day whenever we can and have labels we have saved from Georges DeBouef bottles going back over many years. This had more fruit than some years and certainly more body. Often these can be quite watery, but this year was not so should point to a good vintage!"

Sounds pretty good, hope you enjoy it!!

Time to buy a bottle and check it out this Thursday :)

Excuse my ignorance but is that a 2019 vintage red or an earlier vintage bottle in 2019?

It’s a 2019 wine. Nouveau Beaujolais wine, IIRC, is made from gamay grapes, and is a quick drinker. It’s light and fruity, made just this fall in the Beaujolais region of France.

@mainshipfred yea the Nouveau Beaujolais is made using carbonic maceration, so it usually ends up being lower in tannin with interesting aromatics. It needs to be drank young or the aromatics will hydrolyze and are lost, if you wait a year you'll have a different wine.

Last edited:
Snagged a few bottles today after seeing this on the WE Top 50 Best Buys. Not sure I could make a better wine for 10 Bones.

93536B04-DCD3-4E49-9FDD-D19E43753A62-768x1024.jpeg

Latest posts

Back