What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to say if the winery just doesn't have the proper paperwork in order to ship to AZ or if its a larger issue of AZ not being a wine friendly state that allows and supports direct shipments to consumers. It's for sure one of those scenarios though.

Dreaming Tree emailed an offer, basically 10% off or 12.75 per bottle, ordered all 6 types only to find out they can't ship the Reds to Arizona. But I can buy the reds in WalMart??? Whats up with that??

Hard to say if the winery just doesn't have the proper paperwork in order to ship to AZ or if its a larger issue of AZ not being a wine friendly state that allows and supports direct shipments to consumers. It's for sure one of those scenarios though.

The issues are getting deeper, and every state has different rules / regulations. One of the wineries that I buy from said they have started using a new software package that is populated with all of the updated state rules and regulations, and is updated as they change. It has changed their compliance picture drastically, some for the good, some for the bad.

For instance, in Louisiana, if you have a distributor of your wine in the state, you can't sell to any members of the retail public, period (how long do you think it took the lobbyists for the alcohol industry to bribe their way into that piece of legislation?). If you don't sell your wine in the state through a distributor, only winery to consumer direct, you can't sell any more than 12 cases per year to any particular address, and for some reason, the rule also reads that the bottles can't be over 750 ml. Since the new software, wineries I've bought large format from before, can't sell it to me now. It's a real pain in the ass, and you can rest assured, that the alcohol distributors in your state are behind the mess, wanting to control 100% of the alcohol flow in and out of the states. I get it, distributors perform a service, mostly for big business and alcohol retailers. Flip side is that we, the consumers, don't always need middle men, and the market is trying to respond. I hope to see it adjust in the near future.

I don't order a whole lot from K&L in CA, mostly French futures or "pre-arrivals" as they call them but it sure is nice as they have one of the best inventories of really all wines and they are close so shipping is cheap plus they have a location about 5 miles away from our kids in Burbank so I can pick up and save shipping (have to pay sales tax though) and bring back on plane or car. I know they don't ship to LA and a host of other states so yea, individual State laws must be a mess for a small business to try and navigate through.........

I don't order a whole lot from K&L in CA, mostly French futures or "pre-arrivals" as they call them but it sure is nice as they have one of the best inventories of really all wines and they are close so shipping is cheap plus they have a location about 5 miles away from our kids in Burbank so I can pick up and save shipping (have to pay sales tax though) and bring back on plane or car. I know they don't ship to LA and a host of other states so yea, individual State laws must be a mess for a small business to try and navigate through.........

Funny you mention K&L, though I think we've talked about them before, but those cats have pretty good prices on lots of stuff. When I look wines up in WA, their search service always shows the stores that offer the wines as well as the price, and K&L is at the top of the heap very often.
Years back, I put together an order on their site, some current wines as well as futures, and was heartbroken when the last screen came up saying they couldn't deliver here. That's pretty much when I started digging into the laws behind the mess. Technically speaking, with a package of fees and licenses, they could ship here, but it's not easy, some choose not to mess with it. Still hoping one day to be able to buy from them............

In about 10 years I guess. LOL You bring the Bordeaux blends. Grand Cru of Course!

Mrs IB bought me an 06' Clos du Caillou CdP for a BD present back in 2008. Finally drank it about two years ago. Definitely a life changing out of body experience........

In about 10 years I guess. LOL You bring the Bordeaux blends. Grand Cru of Course!

Mrs IB bought me an 06' Clos du Caillou CdP for a BD present back in 2008. Finally drank it about two years ago. Definitely a life changing out of body experience........

I'll bring a 2010 Pontet-Canet, and a 375 of 2001 D'yquem for after dinner, should be sufficient for our purposes.........

My friend just got back from Jamaica, where he was teaching small ruminant classes in the countryside to farmers, as part of a farmer to farmer exchange. He also had time to extensively "research" various rums! Brought me a bottle of this 8-year-old Guyana product. Very smooth! My liver may be in trouble.

IMG_1267.jpg

Arrg!

4efa5bc401f7cdf5ba459a81969c20e9.jpg

My liver may be in trouble.

In my glass tonight is two Nebbiolo kits. One was started in January 2018 (Winexpert Eclipse) and the other in February 2018 (Original All-Juice bucket). Both are excellent and taste amazing. Mrs. Burgin likes the WE better and I like the OAJ better. The color of both is surprisingly light, like a Pinot. I wasn’t expecting that.

Both have a similar nose and I can tell they need to age a bit more. Both were aged in a carboy for six months and bottled July 2018 (WE) and August 2018 (OAJ).

The WE has a little less acid to the initial taste which is why my wife likes it best and why I like the the OAJ better for it has a bigger attack on my palate.

As far as taste, both have similar notes of cherry, raspberries, rose, anise, and the development of leather and maybe clay.

All in all, both going to continue to be great in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back