What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only made 2 or maybe 3 batches I would consider well about average, have a steady supply of local Virginia wines and my grape wines are still aging. With a few exceptions I just don't have much luck with commercial wines taking to my liking. Perhaps it's cellar palate or I just don't know what to buy. Still having a rough time with whites although they are no quite as offensive as before.

Its the only Oregon PN I am on a list for. Average WS score is 93pts. It is multi dimensional in taste profile instead of a lot of one dimensional Oregon PN's. It has a finish that goes on an on. Chris Figgin's is the winemaker and if the wine doesn't meet or exceed his expectations he has no qualms not delivering a wine for that year (such as 2011, 2013). We actually got to taste the 2011 in a private tasting at the Doubleback winery in WW (Chris was the winemaker back then) and I was blown away by it. I guess he sold it off as bulk juice or something. It's a once a year single commitment with a 3 bottle minimum. If you like Oregon PN this is a very good one.

I've been tempted to grab some of that for some time now, but the cost is turning me off.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Went back to look at it again, and they want $45 to ship me 3 bottles. Not gonna happen.

Happy National Rosé Day!
62012884_10158576777934408_2183273498808418304_n.jpg

Been on a bit of a “my wine” kick lately, had some folks over and drank a few bottles that were in the “try me” category. Started off on the lighter side with some Zinfandel, followed by Tempranillo, and finally a couple bottles of Petite Sirah. The Zinfandel is a full three years (frozen must started in early 16, the PS and Tempranillo will be 3 in fall. They were all very good, the PS was my fave.

The Zin is officially “in the rotation”, Temp maybe later this year, PS needs more time. A couple of the ladies were quite “slurry” at the end of the evening......
B8E76800-6E81-4429-AF0F-17A4EA4AF3A2.jpeg

I tried a bottle of my 2016 Lanza PS a couple weeks ago. Enjoyable, but mine is not quite ready for prime time either.

I had a salmon spinach salad last night and washed it down with a Martin Berdugo Rose from Ribera del Duero. This was made from 100% Tempranillo; and when I saw it on the menu, I had to try it, as I'd never seen a Temp Rose before. Not your typical Rose, it was very fruity, without really feeling sweet. Not crisp or dry on the finish like many, this was smooth with a very nice, round mouthfeel. A very different experience and it worked really well with the salmon.

Last edited:
Been on a bit of a “my wine” kick lately, had some folks over and drank a few bottles that were in the “try me” category. Started off on the lighter side with some Zinfandel, followed by Tempranillo, and finally a couple bottles of Petite Sirah. The Zinfandel is a full three years (frozen must started in early 16, the PS and Tempranillo will be 3 in fall. They were all very good, the PS was my fave.

The Zin is officially “in the rotation”, Temp maybe later this year, PS needs more time. A couple of the ladies were quite “slurry” at the end of the evening......
View attachment 54988

I assume that is the name of your winery. What's the significance of Johmel?

Latest posts

Back