What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit that the meter probe seems to be going out of whack.

I left the meter sitting in that bit of wine for a few minutes and it was then reading 2.98 pH [emoji15]
I noticed that any probe I have that corrects automatically for temperature jumps around a lot. I think the algorithm they use must have some flaws (damn programmers). My Milwaukee meter that doesn't adjust for temperature is very stable.

Popped one of these last night to go with dinner. It was amazing. Even our guest were oohing and ahhhing over it. 94pts WS it had a finish that just went on forever. I had 2 from my club offering and then Last Bottle had an (incredible) offering a month or so ago and I picked up 3 more. So glad I did. Seems to be sold out now and onto the 15. Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Merlot, PV, Malbec so really your kitchen sink Bordeaux blend. Truly a spectacular bottle.

image_e3f82d83-d971-4ff3-8dec-71b1753dc911_530x@2x.jpg

I will do the next best thing in the name of learning how to make excellent wine and that is show everybody the numbers on this guy. Conventional wisdom would say this needs some adjustment but like I mentioned it was sheer perfection in a bottle from nose to taste buds. Sometimes it might be better to just let it ride, get out of the way and let mother nature do her thing (assuming you are starting with quality fruit).

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 8.19.43 PM.png

Sounds lovely. Can you fax me some?

I will do the next best thing in the name of learning how to make excellent wine and that is show everybody the numbers on this guy. Conventional wisdom would say this needs some adjustment but like I mentioned it was sheer perfection in a bottle from nose to taste buds.

You're talking about the relatively high pH and low TA, right?

Thursday/Friday for Mrs IB. She was kind enough to stop at our favorite Bistro in town and pick up two "Steak Frittes" salads to go. (Marinated New Mexico flat iron steak, organic baby field greens, crumbled gorgonzola, red onions, grape tomatoes, avocado and crispy frittes. Tossed with a creamy Dijon parmesan dressing.)

Dug in the cellar and pulled out one of the last two bottles of 2011 "Acarreando Largo" or "Long Haul" right bank Bordeaux blend made from FVW fresh grapes. Down to about 6 bottles total from that crazy run.

This stuff is off the charts good. 60% Merlot, 15% Cab Sauv, 10% Cab Franc, 10% Malbec, 5% PV. Lafitte (1+1) Cork looks excellent. No complaints. Except I wish I had more!

IMG_4174.JPG

I will do the next best thing in the name of learning how to make excellent wine and that is show everybody the numbers on this guy. Conventional wisdom would say this needs some adjustment but like I mentioned it was sheer perfection in a bottle from nose to taste buds. Sometimes it might be better to just let it ride, get out of the way and let mother nature do her thing (assuming you are starting with quality fruit).

I agree, I'd be a little nervous, it may be ok if 3.96 is after ML, but I wouldn't start fermentation at 3.96. You should have run the free sulfite on that one, I'll bet it wasn't at the textbook 70ppm free either.

Out of my cellar: This is a boutique Aussie winery that sells out of damn near everything it makes. Online shows there are bottles of the 2014 vintage still around for $20 plus the ride. If it is like this 2013, buy some! Complex and broad, smooth on the palate, and semi-dry. Very, very nice. Shoulda bought a case.

IMG_1156.jpg

Interesting GMS blend from the H3 of all places and for the whopping price of $10. 2012 and this saw no oak so its the fruit, the whole fruit and nothing but the fruit so help me.........

The verdict is its very good. Needed about 20 mins of air to open up. Really nice bouquet and a superb finish for the low entry price point.

IMG_4202.JPG

Interesting GMS blend from the H3 of all places and for the whopping price of $10. 2012 and this saw no oak so its the fruit, the whole fruit and nothing but the fruit so help me.........

The verdict is its very good. Needed about 20 mins of air to open up. Really nice bouquet and a superb finish for the low entry price point.

View attachment 54013

Looking at the label, a very precise blend!

View attachment 54013
Where did you pick this up, if I may ask?

Latest posts

Back