What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At some point the bottles got mixed and not sure which one is which.....

Problem I have too....I always tell myself that I don’t need to mark the bottles because I’ll remember. I gave some bottles to my sister. She told me it was a great Merlot. I told her that if she wanted to call it Merlot, that was fine with me. But I didn’t make any wine from Merlot.

Opened some of my 2014 Chilean Cab/Merlot. A 50/50 field blend that was good at bottling, then 'went sour' for a while. Seems to be coming back around.

On Sat. my Golden Retriever decided to go visit my neighbor, not an uncommon thing for him to do. During a nice chat, he mentioned that the folks from his work were going to be coming over for a party. I offered him a case of wine he said sure. Later, he brought over to me some venison and this wonderful bottle of Syrah. He said someone gave it to him and his wife and they didn't think they would like it. I said sure, wife and I will drink it. 2005 Sonoma County. Very tasty. IMG_20190107_210558.jpeg

On Sat. my Golden Retriever decided to go visit my neighbor, not an uncommon thing for him to do. During a nice chat, he mentioned that the folks from his work were going to be coming over for a party. I offered him a case of wine he said sure. Later, he brought over to me some venison and this wonderful bottle of Syrah. He said someone gave it to him and his wife and they didn't think they would like it. I said sure, wife and I will drink it. 2005 Sonoma County. Very tasty. View attachment 52802

You were gifted a pretty nice bottle of wine!! Approaching the end of life perhaps (if the dates are close), but certainly nothing to scoff at.
3D2C9805-3660-4DA5-887A-E10A563E90F6.png

Oh my, It was a very, very nice bottle of wine. My wife was out of town all weekend and we sat on the back deck enjoying the unseasonably warm 65 F temps last night. Got a little bit of a buzz from it, the ABV on the bottle was 14.5% and not having supper before hand. I sort of thought it was a bit nicer than I normally buy, very, very heavy, thick bottle. We enjoyed it greatly, I will have to thank him much for it. It might have been a bit past it's peak, but only just barely.

Found this in the cellar on Sunday and paired with some leftover prime rib. This was rated 93pts WS and the #41 on the Top 100 Wines from 2011. I snagged two of them and this was the last of the two bottles. It needed about 30 min of air but then was still flat out amazing. Even the last few sips left you wanting more from that empty bottle of wine. Amazing Cab.

1234680.jpg

2016 Chilean Pinot Noir (juice bucket + lug 'o grapes). First thing that I noticed was the nose. I could smell it from at least a foot away (I think the computer fan was blowing over it). Almost a muted concord grape smell with some oak (though the wine was finished dry). I think I still over corrected this one with acid, pH on my notes sez 3.40, but it tastes way lower than that (guess I could get off my butt and test it...maybe tomorrow or the next day or next week...). I'm surprised at the abrupt flavor change. I think I had a sampler just before Christmas and was dismayed at the overall taste, very gamey and almost musty in flavor. Definitely drinkable now, I think I'll go for another glass while I "troubleshoot" my washer draining issue (working fine for the last two loads, yea).

Edit: more I think about it, I opened this 375 ml bottle, poured a glass, and got pulled away for another "emergency", so it might have sat for upwards of 30 minutes before I sampled. That might be the key to this wine, at least for a while.

1-8-19_pinot-noir.jpg

Last edited:
2016 Chilean Pinot Noir (juice bucket + lug 'o grapes). First thing that I noticed was the nose. I could smell it from at least a foot away (I think the computer fan was blowing over it). Almost a muted concord grape smell with some oak (though the wine was finished dry). I think I still over corrected this one with acid, pH on my notes sez 3.40, but it tastes way lower than that (guess I could get off my butt and test it...maybe tomorrow or the next day or next week...). I'm surprised at the abrupt flavor change. I think I had a sampler just before Christmas and was dismayed at the overall taste, very gamey and almost musty in flavor. Definitely drinkable now, I think I'll go for another glass while I "troubleshoot" my washer draining issue (working fine for the last two loads, yea).

Edit: more I think about it, I opened this 375 ml bottle, poured a glass, and got pulled away for another "emergency", so it might have sat for upwards of 30 minutes before I sampled. That might be the key to this wine, at least for a while.

I have one of those. I'll be sure to let it breathe. 2016 was my "Chilean Disaster" - all with buckets and a lug. No Pinot though.

From grapes?

Yes. I remember the pH being a bit high on this one, 3.9 per my notes. I did take a few liters out of the barrel, to make a port (with brandy) and re-filled the barrel with some 2nd run wine.

Is this the darkest wine....I wonder....lol

Latest posts

Back