What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad, who never drinks white wine, must have really liked the Chardonnays we had last night. He was making ho-made chicken noodle soup from last night's leftovers and grabbed a bottle of 2016 Josh Chardonnay. Not as good as the Columbia Crest Reserve, but worthy. And dayum, that soup was good!

Opened a bottle of 2016 Muscat Canelli, made last year from juice bucket.

Real nice and smooth!!
Although I bottled it too soon, it has crystal diamonds... [emoji853]

Nice to have the cooler weather finally. This was recommended by a local when we were on our 2013 trip to WW, WA and McMinnville, OR. Last of 4 different bottles and I was a little nervous since the wine is now going on 8 years old for a PN but holy cow has it held up well. Lots of strawberry and dark cherry along with a little baking spice and then a finish that goes on and on. This is a perfect example of the Pinot's coming out of the Eola Amity Hills AVA and why their grapes and wines command top dollar. Fantastic from start to finish.

Nice to be able to upload a full size image once again with no downsizing!

IMG_2707.jpg

I'd have gone with the one on the left.

Ahh, I went with the Bordeaux. Each of those was about $10. Still new to my area, I just found a great liquor store close by with amazing selections of all regions/price ranges and a knowledgeable passionate owner.
That will be my 1st Nero D'Avola ever (owner recommended) It's nice to be able to check out new stuff w/o breaking the bank.

Hahah. Oh yeah, I remember that. That was my man @pgentile not me ---
understandable since he's another Philly guy...
Actually the ONLY Philly guy. Im fresh across the river and @sourgrapes (same HS even) moved across the country.

Nero D'Avola confuses the whole Di/de/d'/del convo for me and made me curious. I'll post my findings in the appropriate thread.

Piqueras Black Label 50% Syrah 50% Monastrell from Spain in the glass and quite nice, with a 1000 Stories Zin on deck for later.

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_194441514_1.jpg
    IMG_20171110_194441514_1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 15
Sampling a WE SE Valpolicella kit, made 23 months and 20 days ago. Made per directions but used BDX yeast by default, it was the yeast used in 6 lbs of skins I added plus I added 35 grams of dried elderberries. It has lost a bunch of the kit taste, has a slight cherry nose and berry flavor, and still seems rather astringent (from the elderberry tannins, I'm assuming). It is a very enjoyable wine, opened tonight and enjoyed on "pizza night". It still seems it might get better. I have 13 bottles left in the "wine sanctuary", so should have a few left at 36 months, I'm hoping (no carboy I can tip).

Edit: Now that it has sat for an hour or two, it is much more enjoyable. The fruit is coming through nicely!
11-10-17_valpolicella.JPG

Last edited:
I have never tasted a better 2nd tier wine form declassified lots than Nine Hats made by Long Shadows. This 2009 wine needed 45 mins to open still and get approachable. It looks like they have spun off Nine Hats unto its own winery separate from Long Shadows and they have opened up a Nine Hats tasting room in the SODO district of Seattle as well. No idea if the current stuff is as good as any of the old stuff sitting in my cellar but for less than a Jackson this is one heck of a wine.

IMG_0935.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back