What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at TW a few weeks ago and saw this so snagged a bomber. Local brewery in ABQ La Cumbre Project Dank (96 points on Beer Advocate). These guys have several world class IPA's including their "Elevated IPA" that is a year around beer. 4 pack of 16oz cans sells for under $10 which is a bargain in the craft beer aisle these days for sure. This over delivered on all counts!

IMG_2114.jpg

" Opened the limoncello I bought at Costco last night...and nobody liked it claiming it's too sweet"
@ Geek, If you send me the bottle of Lemoncello and a bottle of your wine I'll send you a Lemoncello cheesecake that I make. Bakervinyard

Well, I ordered a Northern Rhone Viognier for my wife as she loves Viognier and I can't figure it out. Tasted against mine and my three way blend of Viognier, Chardonnay, gewürztraminer. Well my Viognier was swill compared to the Rhone but the tree way blend held its own. My darling wife made a great baked cod that both went well with. The Rhone had an incredible nose of violets and orange blossoms. The taste was full mouthfeel and citrus. My 3 way had the creamy mouthfeel and green melon fruit. My Viognier, well it didn't go down the sink, yet:(. There is always next year. Now I know what she loves and to shoot for:h

IMG_0091.jpg

David,

Am in San Antonio for a few days visiting family. Picked up a bottle today to go with dinner. Paid $19.99 at a local Sprouts. Not all that interesting right out of the gates, pretty tight and closed up but give it 30 min air and look out, this was a rock solid OR Pinot Noir at a very attractive price point. 5 Star QPR and a definite bulk buy!

Grabbed a bottle yesterday to bring to my sister's for Easter. I will open early and report back later.

(2015 Elouan Pinot Noir for those who didn't see the earlier posts)

Grabbed a bottle yesterday to bring to my sister's for Easter. I will open early and report back later.

(2015 Elouan Pinot Noir for those who didn't see the earlier posts)

Opened this up and let it sit for about 40 minutes. First sip or two were a little tight, but after that, great. Even my red wine drinking, non Pinot liking sister said she really liked it. A Pinot I really enjoyed.

Then we moved on to a 2010 Chateauneuf du Pape - very enjoyable as well. Finally, a Louis Martini Cab. A good day of wine drinking!

For yesterday's "Smoked Easter Meats" dinner I cracked the caps on a couple of wines. Tried out one of the Costco finds from a few weeks ago that was #60 on this years WS List of Top 100 Wines for 2016. The 2015 Roberto Anselmi Veneto White wine. This wine was a blend of 80% Garganega which is one of the major white grape varieites grown in the Veneto region, 10% Chardonnay , 10% Sauv Blanc. Went wonderfully with both the smoked Turkey as well as the Pork Loin.

From WS Review:

An expressive white, creamy and lightly juicy throughout, offering flavors of blood orange granita, fresh tarragon, yellow peach and mineral, set in a light-bodied frame. The finish is juicy. Garganega with Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. Drink now through 2019. 41,660 cases made. —AN

b40000053779.jpg

Also cracked the top on my first bottle of "And Why AM I Mr. Pink?" This was my personal favorite. A Rose' of Sangiovese that just exploded in your mouth with a wonderful acidity followed by strawberry, mixed melon aromas, a little spice and then following up with a flinty, mineral-driven finish. Best $10 bottle of wine ever! LOL

692221.jpg

Last edited:
Normally a night off. But our neighbors who temporarily moved overseas last summer are home for a few days and we hosted a small crew from the neighborhood tonight. Just burgers and dogs, but one neighbor brought over a Kunde Sauvignon Blanc, which I was pleasantly surprised by. We also broke into some of my 2015 blends and I was very pleased. Tannins are strong, but the wines are already good. Totally OK w/ the tannins at this point. Some more time chilling out in the bottle and these are going to be super.

Last edited:
This Telltale was very good. It's a chardonnay / pinot rosé. Had a couple bottles and that's is it. Need to find some more.

Cheers!
-jb

IMG_4418.JPG

Out for a special anniversary dinner, and this is what we wound up with: Since we were having many different small plates, I had a glass of white wine, namely, a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris from Casa Silva in Chile. But DW and I also split a bottle of 2014 Tamarack Cellars Firehouse Red. This is a red blend from Columbia Valley; they say they get fruit from all the well-known appellations there (Walla Walla, Horse Heaven Hills, Rattlesnake Hills...) It was listed as a "CSM" blend (Cab, Syrah, Merlot), which I think you will only find in WA. I started writing down the exact blend, but grew weary, because this is the full goldurn list:

• 29% Merlot
• 26% Cabernet Sauvignon
• 22% Syrah
• 11% Cabernet Franc
• 3% Sangiovese
• 2% Malbec
• 2% Petit Verdot
• 2% Grenache
• 2% Mourvèdre and
• 1% Counoise.

It was lovely, but color me skeptical on the importance of those last few varieties!

Consistent performer year after year. Very high QPR. If you liked that wine you should try one of their Cab's if you get the chance!

Out for a special anniversary dinner, and this is what we wound up with: Since we were having many different small plates, I had a glass of white wine, namely, a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris from Casa Silva in Chile. But DW and I also split a bottle of 2014 Tamarack Cellars Firehouse Red. This is a red blend from Columbia Valley; they say they get fruit from all the well-known appellations there (Walla Walla, Horse Heaven Hills, Rattlesnake Hills...) It was listed as a "CSM" blend (Cab, Syrah, Merlot), which I think you will only find in WA. I started writing down the exact blend, but grew weary, because this is the full goldurn list:

• 29% Merlot
• 26% Cabernet Sauvignon
• 22% Syrah
• 11% Cabernet Franc
• 3% Sangiovese
• 2% Malbec
• 2% Petit Verdot
• 2% Grenache
• 2% Mourvèdre and
• 1% Counoise.

It was lovely, but color me skeptical on the importance of those last few varieties!

I had a 2013 Paul Hobbs Pinot Noir that was marked down $10 at the local shop. I was very pleased with it.

Thanks for sharing, Mike. I have a bottle of the 14 Hands Kentucky Derby blend that a friend gave me last summer. Been saving it. If I'm not mistaken, I saw a bunch of it at Wegmans over the weekend.

I made it like over 2 years ago, nose is not that bad for a kit Wine, finally tannins are getting softer, will decante for an hour to see if it changes.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492727736.582502.jpg

2013 Soos Creek "Ciel du Cheval" Vineyard Red Blend. (Red Mountain, WA)

Big, bold and dry! Firm tannins that just grab hold of your mouth right from the start and carry it through to a long, dry finish. Gripping acidity, spice, dark fruit and pepper; all wrapped up in an earthy, almost leathery nose that you find on many big, Italian red wines. It is a bit young and needs to rest a while, but I'm really liking it. Have a few more bottles that I'll leave laying down for a while.

Label says 60% Cab Sauv, 29% Merlot, and 11% Cab Franc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back