What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very humid up here, not as warm as Chantilly. Still too warm for wine in the garage as I watched 1/2 inch of rain fall in about 20 minutes. Labatts Blue, vintage EO65 421914B, drunk very cold.

The thermometer in the yard just hit 100. It's crunchy dry here. In the glass tonight and for quite a while will be ice cold Dragon Blood, at least until I get another quick wine going. :h

WE VR Diablo Rojo with 3 lbs used skins added (Merlot, Cab Sauv, Malbec). Five weeks old from pitching the yeast. Lot's of oak. Did I say it had some oak in it? You can taste some of the residual sweetness from the f-pack before the oak kicks in. I framed the sample for my wife as "it has some oak, but remember the taste before it kicks in", and she liked it to my surprise (an oaky red gal in the making). Very surprised that it is at all drinkable at this point. Reminds me of a Bolla Sangiovese, but better fruit flavor.

Edit: changed my mind. Too much residual sweetness for a Sangiovese. Plenty of oak though, did I mention that earlier?

Last edited:
Tonight it's Bayou Satsuma...

Tonight I'm drinking Bayou Satsuma Rum Liqueur.

A Father's Day gift from my Daughter an Them.

Good stuff, I'll have to keep this in stock.

Bayou Satsuma Front.jpg

Bayou Satsuma Back  06-21-15.jpg

Tonight we had "smoked meats" as I like to call them. :) Pork Butt went on at 7:00am, followed by baby back ribs a few hours later followed by beer butt chicken a few hours after that...... It was so hot today you almost didn't need a fire. Close to 100 degrees which is way over average for us. Had some friends over as well as one of our daughters who lives in town still.

Pulled out a 2011 Gorman "The Devil You Don't Know" which gathered 93pts WS. It was really good. A blend of Syrah, Mouvedre, and Petite Syrah. Soft, nice tannins, round.

1139788x.jpg

Just for fun I pulled out a bottle of my 2012 "Saldo" which is a blend of 75% Zinfandel, 13% Cab Sauv and 12% Syrah. It was the winner at the table. Nice blend of American and French Oak, nice spice and notes of pepper from the Zin. Absolutely perfect right now. Popped and poured as they say. Very happy with how my 2012's have turned out!

LODI-SALDO.jpg

Last edited:
A 20-month-old CC Showcase Zinfandel. Only my fourth kit, and I was still making some rookie mistakes (too much water). However, this is not bad at all. I divided this batch into 3 groups: one I left "as is," one I added aging tannins to, and the last I added some glycerol. This was one of the glycerol bottles, and I think it improved the body of the wine. (A little hard to say, as I am not testing these side by side.) I have not used glycerol in any other kit wines since. Might have to try it on a full kit some time.

My wife and I bottled the four juice buckets we did from California juice, cab sauvignon, sangiovese, Zinfandel and petite sryah. 30 bottles of each, plus about a half bottle extra from each. Just for fun, we blendef the extra bottles. That was what we were drinking. It was so very tasty, we decided to uncorked and blend together 6 bottles of each. So we end up with 24 of a distinct varietal, plus a wonderful blend. Next time we do nice buckets we will probably do many more blend bottles.

Bayou Satsuma Rum...

Is that drunk as is or added to something?

Let the good time roll!

ceeaton,

Thats a good question. It's a Rum, so it could be used in Mixed Drinks.

I have been sipping it so far. It's sweet to the pallet.

They produce an Aged Rum, Satsuma Rum, a Silver Rum and a Spice Rum.

This is my first of their bottles, I'll have to try the others.

Jim...

Aged Rum.jpg

Silver Rum.jpg

Spiced Rum.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1435018164.096200.jpg
Bought some of this to see if I like it enough to make some..... Not bad.

Chateau Diana from Italy. Bubbly, light, slightly sweet and only 6% alcohol. Perfect after 5 hrs of hard labor in the vineyard. And only 525 calories in the whole bottle.

Latest posts

Back