What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha Varis, my wife is Vietnamese and we have rice with everything. Tonight I'm making shiskabobs and rice [emoji12]

2012 CC Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet. Just fantastic. So sad I only have 5 bottles left.

Anyone new to the hobby reading this: Let those kits sit 2+ years if you can. It is really worth it.

A friend brought over a bit of an oddity: a white Rioja. Never had one before. It was buen. This was in a crisp style. Not much oxidative taste which Google tells me characterizes traditional white Riojas. The one we enjoyed is a 2014 Baron de Ley.

Water. Been at a conference in Nashville all week, wining, dining and more wining. My liver needs a nap!

We're off to dinner with some friends. Nice little Italian place in Katonah, NY looking forward to browsing their wine list!
Steve

I did my best rendition of around the world. I have a smaller world than most and only got part way around it so far, but the evening is young.

The Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay has a real distinct nose and initial taste of peaches and apricots with a slight acidic (pleasant) bite. The Chardonel's grapefruit aroma and taste have died back to just "citrus" in general, but the flavor is wonderful, just lacks body compared to the Chardonnay (mlf has definitely reduced any acidic bite). The Chilean Bordeaux blend (Melot/Cab Sauv/Malbec) from this Spring has me excited. Thinking in a year or so I'll have 60 bottles that I'll have to hide at my brothers place. Then there is the Dornfelder from this Falls' harvest. Tasted to see if mlf seemed to run it's course, and it has, need to test in a few weeks. The aroma and flavor remind me of the Bordeaux blend, just fruitier at this point and a lighter body. I'm happy with it so far. The image below is of the Dornfelder, would make a great dye for a tie dye shirt. Intensely dark purple. Just have to decide on the oak flavor and intensity to use at this point.

Edit: The Sangiovese sample is to die for, this is so ready to drink. The oak is in the background, fruity like the Dornfelder but heavier like the Bordeaux blend. Very enjoyable at this point. Hope my brother has some more room for 30 more bottles...

Edit 2: Tried a sample of the Forza. Sangiovese x 3. Heavy body. Actually noted a noticeable dark (french roast) coffee flavor in the aftertaste. Very surprising as I didn't note that a month ago and this is still extremely young (started 7-24-15)

11-6-15_Dornfelder.jpg

Last edited:
I am drinking a Russian Imperial Stout by Sprecher Brewery called "Czar Brew." It is aged in oak Bourbon barrels, weighs in at a mighty 11.9% ABV, and is delicious.

Latest posts

Back