What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2019 Raspberry Sour Cherry Melomel (70% frozen raspberries, 30% frozen pitted sour cherries) with unpasteurized cranberry blossom honey to SG 1.012. I'm tasting it and added some to a Vegan Beyond Beef spaghetti sauce and chili.

It is in good condition, has a nice flavour and is balanced inspite of SG 1.012 due to the acid in the raspberries and sour cherries. I've got about a dozen left so will let it age so I can see how long it lasts (e.g. open one every 6 months). It is a good cooking wine due to low tannin

Attachments

• 20230120_135242[1].jpg
    20230120_135242[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Tonight's selection. Lots of plum, moderate bouquet redolent of ripe blueberry, low tannins, round, deep. Very approachable. Easy drinking wine. Paso Robles winery. I gave $15.50 for it, a bit higher than the lowest price of $11.99, but I also note it selling for up to $42. I'd like to see a bit more tannin for my tastes. I'll pair it with Butterkase cheese later.

IMG_2956.JPG

2 out of 3 Soldiers from last nights dinner and dominos. Opened an Albarino as well from TW I think as the "3rd bottle" offering. The Picpoul was the star of the show. The Delille was really good also, a nice Sem-Sauv blend that has held up really well in the cellar.

IMG_9080.jpeg

This is not a new purchase, but I haven't had any in months.

Jameson 1.jpg

One of my sons gave me chilling stones for Christmas.

Jameson 2.jpg

EDIT: My whiskey is in a wine glass because I was in the cellar (keep my liquors under my wine counter) and was too lazy to walk back upstairs to get a whiskey glass. I noticed the whiskey tasted the same as usual ... ;)

Last edited:
Tonight, an old favorite, the 2019 version of Ancient Peaks Merlot. Mmmm... I was so happy to find it locally, for just $2 over the best Net price. Paired with grilled ribeye and a salad. I took the picture before adding steak sauce so that @ibglowin wouldn't blow a gasket! 🤣

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.26.40 PM.png

I really like him and his approach. Wish he made more videos.
He does a great job and 99% of the time I agree with him. He had me scratching my head over the price of OR Pinot Noir. He said something to the fact that it should cost $15. I don't know where he finds any decent OR Pinots for that price. Even Costco. A decent one is at least $25-35 IMHO. Anything less and its pretty sad mass produced faux winery schlep except maybe for one or two at Costco.

Back