What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tripleberry Cassis

15 lbs organic wild blackberries frozen and thawed

15 lbs organic homegrown raspberries frozen and thawed

3 lbs cane sugar for 6 lbs frozen fruit with no water for 2 days then water and pectic enzyme

1 lb dried elderberries

Lalvin Bayanus yeast

Bladder pressed at ~5% alcohol to remove all of the seeds and pulp i.e. 6 day ferment with Lalvin bayanus.

Sweetened with corn sugar.

Oaked with 30 medium toast oak cubes.

Topped up with French Cassis liqueur.

This is a delicious wine, not because I made it.

Because it is what fruit wine can taste like.

I will absolutely make this again this year no less

Namaste wild things.

All of you make my heart sing.

If I ever say anything nasty to anyone it is because I think I understand quality winemaking

e.g. Italian grandfather zinfandel muscat is a trainwrecck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Klaus

Last edited:
I just bought an interesting wine for $16. It is a 2009 Chateau Coufran from Haut-Medoc (St-Seurin-de-Cadourne, Pauillac Canton to be exact). The weird thing is that this is a Merlot-dominant wine from the left bank (85% Merlot, 15% Cab Sauvignon). The label says that "Chateau Coufran est aussi surnomme le <<Pomerol du Medoc>> du fait de son encepagement unique pour cette region," which Google translates as: "Chateau Coufran is also nicknamed 'The Pomerol of Medoc' because of its unique grape varieties for this region."

Anyway, tastes good! :) Smooth and elegant. Good amount of pucker left, but not abrasive.

I just bought an interesting wine for $16. It is a 2009 Chateau Coufran from Haut-Medoc (St-Seurin-de-Cadourne, Pauillac Canton to be exact). The weird thing is that this is a Merlot-dominant wine from the left bank (85% Merlot, 15% Cab Sauvignon). The label says that "Chateau Coufran est aussi surnomme le <<Pomerol du Medoc>> du fait de son encepagement unique pour cette region," which Google translates as: "Chateau Coufran is also nicknamed 'The Pomerol of Medoc' because of its unique grape varieties for this region."

Anyway, tastes good! :) Smooth and elegant. Good amount of pucker left, but not abrasive.

How's the old standby "Sideways" joke play over in France these days? :dg

At this point I have no idea what is in my glass tonight -- I'll find out later.

advent calendar.jpg

This was a Costco buy. It contains 20 corkable split bottles and 4 screwcaps. This will be a nice addition to my bottles collection -- besides, I need another case to hold bottles.

Note -- I'm not gonna wait until 1 December, but I also won't necessarily open a bottle each night.

Another one from the Costco Advent wine calendar. The wines are roughly $8 USD per 750 ml bottle equivalent (all bottles are 375 ml, $4 each), and so far that is the quality. The ones I've opened have been decent, but not outstanding.

On the plus side, it's wines I'd never tried except in a collection like this, so it's valuable. Besides, I'm getting 20 corkable Bordeaux shape split bottles when I'm done!

disheveled tailor.jpg

Another one from the Costco Advent wine calendar. The wines are roughly $8 USD per 750 ml bottle equivalent (all bottles are 375 ml, $4 each), and so far that is the quality. The ones I've opened have been decent, but not outstanding.

On the plus side, it's wines I'd never tried except in a collection like this, so it's valuable. Besides, I'm getting 20 corkable Bordeaux shape split bottles when I'm done!
Well, after seeing your post last night I decided to venture out to Sam's Club today. They had the Advent beer, and Advent spirits but no Advent Wine at our local Sam's. I like the idea of trying a 375 ml instead of a larger bottle.

Well, after seeing your post last night I decided to venture out to Sam's Club today. They had the Advent beer, and Advent spirits but no Advent Wine at our local Sam's. I like the idea of trying a 375 ml instead of a larger bottle.
The wines are the equivalent of $8 USD bottles, and the quality reflects this. A couple have been pretty good (Spanish Grenache my son & I enjoyed after pressing today), and some have been "ok".

But IMO it's worthwhile, as I'm trying wines I'd never hear of. Dinner tonight is with a Pinot Noir from North Macedonia -- I had to look that up, as I knew it was a country but had NO idea where it was. Turns out it's between Greece, Albania, Kosovo, and Bulgaria. The wine itself is a bit too tannic and astringent, but it's a 2021, so it needs at least another year. However, now I'm willing to take a chance on a wine from this area.

If you're willing to gamble, try a subscription with Laithwaite. I re-signed with them recently and get a case each quarter. I have no idea what's coming, other than it's red (can get white or mixed, if desired), but the worst wines I've had from them was merely "good". They are trying to sell more wine, and some of it is a good deal. Some is way beyond my budget. But the scheduled cases are fun.

They also have discounted "mystery cases" about twice a year. I figure they are clearing the warehouse of odd-n-ends, and sell the wine at a discounted price. I've had good luck with these, and while I'm a red drinker, I have purchased white mystery cases and was satisfied with the result.

Note -- I'm wide open when it comes to wine, so buying wine sight-unseen works for me. YMMV

Latest posts

Back