What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home made blueberry wine made a few years ago

View attachment 92313

I think I found the notes for this wine:

Blueberry Melomel (from Blueberry puree)

Started 08/02/14.

Aug 02

-Added ~1lb of frozen blueberries I had in freezer for a few months
-Added a pinch of sulfite (maybe ~1/8 tsp or a bit more)
-Added ~3tsp of pectic enzyme
-Stirred really well that all must is really broken down as a puree now
-Must temp 46F
-PH=3.09 Used 1tsp of potassium carbonate to raise the PH and measured then at 3.6

-Added 3gal of spring water and 2 quarts of honey, but SG went up to 1.050

-simple syrup with white sugar.

PH=3.53
SG=1.082
Temp=81F

-hydrated and pitched 71B yeast

Aug 7

SG ~1.040 last night, added 1 tsp of Ferm aid-K (pre-hydrated) and stirred in must.....smell is really good.....

Sept 02

racked and k-meta added after going dry to ~ 0.998. The wine has been sitting in glass carboy since. Wine dropped lots of sediment and looks very clear even without adding fining agents.

Oct 03

Racked, added sorbate, honey and simple syrup to bring SG to 1.010 or so, then bottled.

This is a 50/50 mix of 2 of my wines (Black Iris- my neighbour Iris' pitted black wild cherries, mixed with wild blackberries and dried elderberries + Marechal Foch - table wine blacker than black bone dry) mixed in the glass as shown with my wine (Tripleberry Cassis - organic raspberries, wild blackberiies and dried elederberries plus French Cassis liqueur). Alcohol on this mix in the glass is ~15.5%.

Tripleberry Cassis - 6 lbs frozen wild blackberries, 6 lbs frozen organic raspberries, 8 oz of dried elderberries, 1 bottle of French Cassis, oaked with medium toast American oak 15 cubes in a 15 bottle carboy for 120 days.

Black Iris - 9 bottles blackberry (from 6lbs blackberries, 3 lbs sugar, Imperial gallon of water), 12 bottles of wild cherry (pitted) from 6lb cherries/3lbs sugar, 1 Imperial gallon of water

Marechal Foch home grown - 4 bottles

This is very good, not because I made it but because it tastes like it could age for the next 10 years in a wine cooler and just get better.

This year I'll mix 15 lbs Raspberries, 11 lbs blackberries, 3 lbs wild cherries with medium toast American oak with 1/2 spiked with 1 bottle of Cassis and 1/2 spiked with one bottle of Chambord. I may add Marechal Foch and/or Regent homegrown organic grapes.

Attachments

• 20220831_145657.jpg
    20220831_145657.jpg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 0
This is a 50/50 mix of 2 of my wines (Black Iris- my neighbour Iris' pitted black wild cherries, mixed with wild blackberries and dried elderberries + Marechal Foch - table wine blacker than black bone dry) mixed in the glass as shown with my wine (Tripleberry Cassis - organic raspberries, wild blackberiies and dried elederberries plus French Cassis liqueur). Alcohol on this mix in the glass is ~15.5%.

Tripleberry Cassis - 6 lbs frozen wild blackberries, 6 lbs frozen organic raspberries, 8 oz of dried elderberries, 1 bottle of French Cassis, oaked with medium toast American oak 15 cubes in a 15 bottle carboy for 120 days.

Black Iris - 9 bottles blackberry (from 6lbs blackberries, 3 lbs sugar, Imperial gallon of water), 12 bottles of wild cherry (pitted) from 6lb cherries/3lbs sugar, 1 Imperial gallon of water

Marechal Foch home grown - 4 bottles

This is very good, not because I made it but because it tastes like it could age for the next 10 years in a wine cooler and just get better.

This year I'll mix 15 lbs Raspberries, 11 lbs blackberries, 3 lbs wild cherries with medium toast American oak with 1/2 spiked with 1 bottle of Cassis and 1/2 spiked with one bottle of Chambord. I may add Marechal Foch and/or Regent homegrown organic grapes.
+ 1lb dried elderberries

Just waiting for my wife to come out of surgery, so right now anything that is wet and casts a shadow will suffice.

Nice little local shiraz sitting at home waiting for me, post-Florence Nightingale duties, of course.

Just waiting for my wife to come out of surgery, so right now anything that is wet and casts a shadow will suffice.

Nice little local shiraz sitting at home waiting for me, post-Florence Nightingale duties, of course.

Here's to a speedy and uneventful recovery!

The old man came over for Father's Day, so I popped open a bottle of 2020 shiraz that was my second vintage. I've formally written it off but you know what, it wasn't too bad. Somehow tasted like a cheap kiwi pinot, which I'll take! No idea what's going on, it was so bland last time šŸ¤”

The old man came over for Father's Day, so I popped open a bottle of 2020 shiraz that was my second vintage. I've formally written it off but you know what, it wasn't too bad. Somehow tasted like a cheap kiwi pinot, which I'll take! No idea what's going on, it was so bland last time šŸ¤”
Wat happened? Time.

Wine changes as it ages, and some wines simply need more time to develop.

Latest posts

Back