What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chambourcin from a local northeast Ohio winery. Yesterday tasted a little thin, today it seems to have improved. I’m interested in this varietal because I can get crushed juice with skins by the bucket from Klingshirn winery. Way easier than trying to find these grapes, at least locally to me.

Attachments

• DE6EFEDB-FF36-4300-92C5-AAE61C913562.jpeg
    DE6EFEDB-FF36-4300-92C5-AAE61C913562.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 0
Starting to go through some wines on my basement floor. Had to move a bunch when they installed a new heat pump/air unit a couple of months ago. Got me thinking that maybe 5-6+ year old wines might have been better being consumed by now. Opened up a WE Selection Italian Brunello w/skins kit wine, made in February of 2016. Has a Nomacorc in it, so wasn't worried about that being compromised. I probably haven't had this wine in 3 years or so. As I remember, my last tasting had a bit of what I thought was "kit taste" to it, like a somewhat cooked sugary fruit flavor to it. It still does, but it is has refined into a mix of raisin and plum flavors. It's definitely on the alcoholic side, I definitely will need to take care trudging up the basement stairs when I go to bed in a bit.

Really pleasant and flavorful, yet strong wine. 6 1/2 years hasn't hurt this one at all.

8-25-22_Italian-brunello.jpg

Brehm 2021 Columbia River frozen Gewurtztraminer juice (super fragrant but flat)/California Gewurtztraminer juice (low fragrance acidic?) blended with high acid Brehm California Chardonnay frozen juice in a blend to SG 1.002 (my wife likes it this way) and then reblended with an acidic but tasty and fragrant Brehm Chenin Blanc frozen juice to get the acid up. I actually blended this in the glass. Here are my comments:

really good smell from the Columbia River Gewurtztraminer and the Chenin Blanc.

acid is perfect for me but too high for my wife (i.e. don't be afraid to blend wines on the run - this lets me drink the Chenin Blanc unsweetened in the best way possible for my palate so my wife can drink the non-Chenin Blanc part her way which she likes.

aftertaste for my palate is rich and long. I would drink this with prawn linguine with mushrooms and a cream sauce.

Bottom line: you can make wines in a single glass

The advantage of doing this is that you really learn to taste and smell

Latest posts

Back