What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were hanging out on the boat in the marina on Lake Michigan, enjoying a picnic lunch and a few local craft beers. By mid-afternoon, we grew hungry, and decided to head home for snacks and wine. However, I had limited supplies at the ready. So I said: "The good news is that we are moving on to the cheese and wine portion of the program. The bad news that it is muenster cheese and Carlo Rossi Chablis served from a mason jar." Sadly, true story. But we survived!

Believe it or not, some "Chablis" from a 4L jug of Carlo Rossi.
I posted in another thread that jug wines are not bad wines -- they are typically absolutely "average", having no significant faults nor anything exceptional. And as Paul pointed out, getting 4 liters of cooking wine for just a bit more than the cost of an empty jug is quite frugal!

When my brother picked up a few cases of split bottles from @mainshipfred, Fred gave my brother a bottle of his recently bottled Cabernet Sauvignon, which has 12% Petit Verdot and 8% Tannat.

When I picked up the splits Saturday (plus moved furniture in 100 F heat!, which I heartily recommend against!), my brother opened the bottle. Very tasty, and the Petit Verdot stands out in the blend. I'm not familiar with the taste of Tannat, so I can't comment on its influence.

The remaining half bottle spent 6 hours in my trunk in 90 F heat while traveling to visit other family. My niece & I finished the bottle Sunday, and the wine was VERY surprising, in a positive way. The wine is young, but the aeration and heat it experienced softened and opened it up. The Petit Verdot melded into the Cabernet, and the change was a very nice surprise.

Overall, this one has the potential to be a great wine.

freds-wine.jpg

Latest posts

Back