What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to be a story behind this photo! How did you get a 4 year Vertical for an unheard of winery?

Yes, my bonus son married into the family. He tells the story that when he first met his wife to be and learned they had a winery that he was afraid of would make some not so good wine. Luckily for him and me, it is really very good wine.

They do sell the 14,15,16 as a 3 pack on the website.

And you can get the 13 there too.

Yes you can. If you are interested in their wines, they also have links to the recent taste in place videos the winemaker has been doing. Very fun and interesting, don't really learn much about the wine making secrets, except good grapes, lots of them and spend more money than I will to have five or six different barrel types per varietal.

Yes, my bonus son married into the family. He tells the story that when he first met his wife to be and learned they had a winery that he was afraid of would make some not so good wine. Luckily for him and me, it is really very good wine.
Yes you can. If you are interested in their wines, they also have links to the recent taste in place videos the winemaker has been doing. Very fun and interesting, don't really learn much about the wine making secrets, except good grapes, lots of them and spend more money than I will to have five or six different barrel types per varietal.

One thing for sure, is that Mendocino county is growing some nice grapes. It's cooler nearer the ocean and warmer nearer to 101. It's a huge county too that isn't all planted like Napa and to a lesser extent like Sonoma.

And @cmason1957 if your son married into the family, chances are lots of that wine is coming your way in the upcoming years. I'm going to visit there once the COVID restrictions are over. I love seeking out these small wineries that have not yet been gobbled up by some huge company like Gallo or Constellation. Plus my wife likes to head to the coast there and stay at Sea Ranch which is a highly cool place to get away. I might even be able to sneak in some steelhead fishing in the Gualala River!

One thing for sure, is that Mendocino county is growing some nice grapes. It's cooler nearer the ocean and warmer nearer to 101. It's a huge county too that isn't all planted like Napa and to a lesser extent like Sonoma.

And @cmason1957 if your son married into the family, chances are lots of that wine is coming your way in the upcoming years. I'm going to visit there once the COVID restrictions are over. I love seeking out these small wineries that have not yet been gobbled up by some huge company like Gallo or Constellation. Plus my wife likes to head to the coast there and stay at Sea Ranch which is a highly cool place to get away. I might even be able to sneak in some steelhead fishing in the Gualala River!

I encourage everyone to try Mendocino County wines. Even before the marriage, I found them to be every bit as good as Napa/Sonoma at a lower price point. If you do decide to go visit, they are in Hopland, the vines are from several plots they own throughout the county. My favorite are the Italian varietals they grow Barbara, Primitivo, Sangeovese, and Dolcetto. They make one that is a blend of those four.

2011 J. Bookwalter "Volume Two"

Have not had many 100% Cab Sauv's but this one was. Not a drop of PV or PS or anything else. PDG wine. 91pts WS IIRC.

Celebrating the birth of our 2nd grandchild born this week out in beautiful downtown Burbank, CA. A very healthy boy this time around. Everyone is home safe and we are happy for this bright light in our lives at this time.

Salud!

1610324712989.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Jim!

Mrs IB flew out about a week before the due date to be there to assist and take care of our grand daughter who is now almost 3YO.

She was dressed like she worked in a BSL-4 safety lab......... Too many layers of PPE to keep track of but it worked.

I hope to drive out and stay a week at some point after life gets into more of a routine. We will then drive back to NM holding our breath of course for 12 hours....... LOL

Congrats on your grandson! Hopefully, you can get out there to meet him soon.

2011 J. Bookwalter "Volume Two"

Have not had many 100% Cab Sauv's but this one was. Not a drop of PV or PS or anything else. PDG wine. 93pts WS IIRC.

Celebrating the birth of our 2nd grandchild born this week out in beautiful downtown Burbank, CA. A very healthy boy this time around. Everyone is home safe and we are happy for this bright light in our lives at this time.

Salud!

View attachment 70330

Congrats Mike, already two.!!

Forget about tonight, I'm going to tell what will be in my glass for the next several months. I evidently joined a wine club called Cooper's Hawk which is a restaurant/winery chain that has 2 near me. I've been paying monthly membership dues since June 2019 and have 40 bottles to pick up.

Forget about tonight, I'm going to tell what will be in my glass for the next several months. I evidently joined a wine club called Cooper's Hawk which is a restaurant/winery chain that has 2 near me. I've been paying monthly membership dues since June 2019 and have 40 bottles to pick up.

Ha! I totally forgot you told me about joining CH! Too funny!

Based on your post, I guess you don't go that often. But you can pull bottles from your 'collection' when you dine there.

Ha! I totally forgot you told me about joining CH! Too funny!

Based on your post, I guess you don't go that often. But you can pull bottles from your 'collection' when you dine there.
I think Fred would be wise to pull all those 40 bottles and we could have an impromptu Mid-Atlantic meeting of wine drinkers anonymous. Wadda ya think? Masks required, of course.

Back