What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in my glass, but a friend shared this on FB tonight. A Cinnamon Old Fashioned. I'm definitely a fan of the 'regular' Old Fashioned. May need to try this one for the holidays.

1607305468905.png

2:2:1 ratio of:
- bourbon
- orange juice
- cinnamon syrup (see below)
And
- 1 dash orange bitters (i made it without, but it could really use them. Angostura or Peychaud's might work too, but will change the taste)
Shake over ice (20-40 seconds) and serve over ice. Add cinnamon stick and bruleed orange slice if feeling festive.
For the syrup:
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary. Or dried. THat's all I had on hand cuz 'Rona grocery shopping is a pain in the ars.
Combine in pot and bring to boil. Boil for 5 minutes, turn off, remove from heat and allow to cool. It makes about 3 drinks worth, depending on how you like to use in the drink.
I used Four Roses small batch bourbon. It's good. Enjoy!

Not in my glass, but a friend shared this on FB tonight. A Cinnamon Old Fashioned. I'm definitely a fan of the 'regular' Old Fashioned. May need to try this one for the holidays.

Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing. And Four Roses Small batch is one of my favorite bourbons. If you ever get a wild hair, be sure to try the Costco Small Batch.

Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing. And Four Roses Small batch is one of my favorite bourbons. If you ever get a wild hair, be sure to try the Costco Small Batch.

Sadly, can't by the hard stuff at Costco in Virginia. Have to go the the state run ABC store. We can buy beer and wine just about anywhere though.

I thought it was interesting that this recipe called for the orange bitters. I actually prefer them in my Old Fashioned.

Sadly, can't by the hard stuff at Costco in Virginia. Have to go the the state run ABC store. We can buy beer and wine just about anywhere though.

I thought it was interesting that this recipe called for the orange bitters. I actually prefer them in my Old Fashioned.

I don't think I will ever understand why so many folks think pot laws being relaxed are so wonderful, when I hear about the liquor laws in so many states being so, I suppouse harsh is the correct word. I know when I visited my bonus son in Pennsylvania, during dental school, it drove me crazy not to be able to buy whatever booze I wanted to at the grocery store. I suppose, I am just spoiled living in Missouri. We have very lax laws. (Sorry, grumpy old man rant over)

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Not that I'm going to discuss personal issues here, but I can tell you that depression is real my friends and has been hitting me like a roller coaster due to family issues....especially during this pandemic s$it.. :(

I'll stay around for sure.
I believe you! Anyone who has anxiety or depression normally has it amped up during the pandemic and economic stuff.

I don't think I will ever understand why so many folks think pot laws being relaxed are so wonderful, when I hear about the liquor laws in so many states being so, I suppouse harsh is the correct word. I know when I visited my bonus son in Pennsylvania, during dental school, it drove me crazy not to be able to buy whatever booze I wanted to at the grocery store. I suppose, I am just spoiled living in Missouri. We have very lax laws. (Sorry, grumpy old man rant over)

I went to college outside Philly. Many a Sunday, we drove to NJ for beer. :(

It's not easy but chugging alone so far.
I've been talking about moving south to NC for a long time, the property taxes here in CT are un-controllable :mad:🤬🤬
My sister- and brother-in-law lived in Long Island for years, waiting for their boys to get through school. Their property taxes were crazy as well. They moved to a place near Charlotte and love it. Turns out NY money gets you a palace in NC, with a pool. ;)

I went to college outside Philly. Many a Sunday, we drove to NJ for beer. :(

I grew up about 4 miles from the bridge to NJ. I was also legal to drink in NJ at 19, but not until 21 in PA. Not proud of this, but did you know that the lanes of the bridges coming back to PA from NJ seem much narrower than the lanes going in the other direction? :sp

I grew up about 4 miles from the bridge to NJ. I was also legal to drink in NJ at 19, but not until 21 in PA. Not proud of this, but did you know that the lanes of the bridges coming back to PA from NJ seem much narrower than the lanes going in the other direction? :sp

I was about the same age living in a city in Missouri connected to Illinois by Bridge. And experienced that same effect, only worse. The bridge was one lane each direction and so narrow trucks passing had to pull mirrors in our risk losing them, with a stupid curve halfway. So glad they have now replaced that bridge.

Turns out NY money gets you a palace in NC, with a pool.
Housing prices have skyrocketed in NC in recent years around the large cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem), so while out-of-state money can buy a really nice house, but it's not quite what it was.

Ditto for North Carolina. I stopped in a Costco in Myrtle Beach -- the liquor store was interesting, and I'll stop back in next time I'm there.

Tonight, I opened the last bottle of a Vino Italiano Cabernet kit I made in 2012 (the third wine I ever made). For those of you not familiar, these kits were available on Amazon for about 40 bucks. I made it to five gallons instead of six, and gave it extra oak. The very first wine I ever made was a Vino Italiano Barolo in March of that year, in similar fashion. This was about 60 days later - certainly very early on in my 'career'. It actually wasn't bad at all - a pretty good table wine, but certainly not identifiable as a Cab Sauv. Either way, I couldn't believe it tasted as good as it did. Cork was in great shape too - if I recall correctly, the kit came with corks.

Tonight I opened the last of a kit from 2015. It was a WE Eclipse Old Vine Zin. Pas mal.

I have pretty much stopped making red kits. I have only 6 more bottles of red kits in the actual bottle, plus one more kit (30 bottles) bulk aging in a carboy. Still cranking out white kits and white juice buckets.

Back