What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our friends left me a couple of bottles of this...... I just don't know what to say, tastes like melted peanut butter Ice cream. Yummy, weird, I like it but don't think I should.... has a really long finish like I just ate a half dozen really rich peanut butter cookies....... 6.3 abv and I'm motivated to finish what I start.... but probably not opening another anytime soon.
View attachment 62306

Makes me think of the Sweet Baby Jesus Peanut Butter Porter. I know people that love it, but I can't stand it.

Revisiting the remnants of the Petite Sirah/Zinfandel wine that @jgmann67 made that we both contributed young wine to originally fermented in the Fall of 2016. Just so many good flavors bursting out of this wine. Perfect ending to a beautiful evening in front of a small fire with my bride.

Our friends left me a couple of bottles of this...... I just don't know what to say, tastes like melted peanut butter Ice cream. Yummy, weird, I like it but don't think I should.... has a really long finish like I just ate a half dozen really rich peanut butter cookies....... 6.3 abv and I'm motivated to finish what I start.... but probably not opening another anytime soon.

I had something similar last weekend, peanut butter whiskey. I think the name of it was Skrewball. Kinda okay, but more something I'm going to buy.

Tried to post last night but had issues...Jim, I think you can open that now, just give it some air time. I had a second glass and it was better than the first. That background taste that I thought was inherent to the Dornfelder varietal is gone. Very smooth and drinkable. I have another bottle or two of that if you like it.

I enjoyed a crappy, oxidized wine. This takes some explanation!

Last fall, I made a Viognier from juice from Prosser, WA. After racking down, etc., I had a 6-gallon carboy and a 1.5 L vessel, for eventual use in topping. I used a universal bung with arilock. However, when I checked sometime over the winter, the bung was not seated well, and the wine was oxidized. I didn't throw it away, but it was clear that the wine in the 1.5L vessel was compromised.

I recently fined the 6 gallon vessel, and will soon bottle, so the 1.5 L vessel is clearly expendable. Since it is the only white wine in the house, I decided to tap it to go with dinner tonight (grilled shrimp). It was okay, barely. Oxidized with off-notes. Oh well! At least the 6-gallon batch seems fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back