What's in your glass tonight?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday the wife got out pork tenderloin from the freezer and asked me to prepare it "in a wine sauce". [She's not much of a wine drinker, but likes Gewurztraminer, sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, and anything from Loire.]

I often use a white wine, but decide something a bit heavier was the ticket. I'm down to a few bottles of the 2016 Chocolate-Orange port (got a Black Forest port and coffee port waiting in the wings). [I don't need more .... but since these port kits age well, raspberry may be on the ticket this year.]

I bottle the dessert kits in splits (makes them last a LOT longer) ... half the bottle went in the sauce ...

2016-chocolate-orange-port-e1572620952341.jpg

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
Ran out of Modelo and we started a small fire, so had to reach for something else. First bottle I grabbed was a wine that @jgmann67 made in the Fall of 2016 with some Zinfandel of mine, and some Petite Sirah of his that we sourced from the Suisun Valley via Harford Winery. It's a 50/50 blend. Slightly chilled and opened the bottle, poured a glass, and waited two hours for it to breathe a bit. Expected a bracing initial first sip from the Petite Sirah, but it was soft and very approachable. Got a hint of fruitiness from the Zinfandel and a nice backbone of what I think is blueberries from the Petite Sirah. Very dry but a very drinkable wine (oh no, late night in the works). No defects I can taste and will definitely have another glass. We split the batch and this is the first bottle I recall opening since I got it. Very good effort on Jim's behalf on finishing a beautiful wine!

6-6-20_wine.jpg

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
I’ve had a few of this Craig. Really liking how it turned out.

I’m drinking you (@ceeaton) Forza tonight. I opened the bottle and immediately poured a half glass just to set a baseline when I’m trying to figure out how well it opens up. It is pleasant and very approachable, with a hint of port-like depth.

I will return with an update in an hour or so.

Last edited:

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
I’ve had a few of this Craig. Really liking how it turned out.

I’m drinking you (@ceeaton) Forza tonight. I opened the bottle and immediately poured a half glass just to set a baseline when I’m trying to figure out how well it opens up. It is pleasant and very approachable, with a hint of port-like depth.

I will return with an update in an hour or so.
Tasty, potent wine, Stewed cherry. Less dark chocolate than I remember. Staying up till my daughter gets home from work. This wine is keeping me company.

Kraffty

Reaction score
Our friends left me a couple of bottles of this...... I just don't know what to say, tastes like melted peanut butter Ice cream. Yummy, weird, I like it but don't think I should.... has a really long finish like I just ate a half dozen really rich peanut butter cookies....... 6.3 abv and I'm motivated to finish what I start.... but probably not opening another anytime soon.
PeanutButterBeer.jpg