What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it on the sweet side, or dry?

It tastes like water, so whatever you think water is on the wet/dry scale, there you are. I am not kidding, really zero flavor and I tried hard to get a flavor out of it. Has to be the worst white wine I have ever had. If it weren't for the money I have in it and the alcohol in it, I'd toss them. Good as a spritzer with ginger ale, which adds flavor, so that's how it'll get used up.

Under edit: I tried a little out of the opened bottle and it does have a little twang to it, alcohol and hint of understated mineral-like taste. Still, I can see why they quit making it.

Last edited:
Not in my glass yet, but shortly will be drinking a 1999 Chateau Pontet-Canet with my daughter. I have a bottle of wine for each of my children with vintage year the same as their birth year, and we drink it together when they turn 21, and she just turned 21. I’m not usually one to bring a bottle to dinner at a restaurant, but this is a special case.

Not in my glass yet, but shortly will be drinking a 1999 Chateau Pontet-Canet with my daughter. I have a bottle of wine for each of my children with vintage year the same as their birth year, and we drink it together when they turn 21, and she just turned 21. I’m not usually one to bring a bottle to dinner at a restaurant, but this is a special case.

Nice!

Tell I said Happy Birthday.

A tight and tannic Malbec from Jim.

I just opened it and am letting it breathe till dinner. Paired with a beautifully marbled steak. Gonna be a good night.

Poured a little taste for me and the Mrs. It’s smokey, chocolate with blueberry on the palate. A bigger nose.

Can’t wait to see how this opens up.

IMG_0162.JPG

A tight and tannic Malbec from Jim.

I just opened it and am letting it breathe till dinner. Paired with a beautifully marbled steak. Gonna be a good night.

Poured a little taste for me and the Mrs. It’s smokey, chocolate with blueberry on the palate. A bigger nose.

Can’t wait to see how this opens up.

View attachment 58350

Give it time.

Peppery too.

Curious to hear your thoughts - good or bad. I may open a bottle tomorrow afternoon for consumption later in the evening, so I have a compare. As I recall the last time I had one, it was tight, as you noted. I feel like most of my wines from grapes are that way, at least until the 3+ year mark.

Curious to hear your thoughts - good or bad. I may open a bottle tomorrow afternoon for consumption later in the evening, so I have a compare. As I recall the last time I had one, it was tight, as you noted. I feel like most of my wines from grapes are that way, at least until the 3+ year mark.

My PS and Zin-PS blend are 3.5 years old and they are still wound pretty tight.

This opened up quite a bit in just an hour and a half. I don’t usually drink Malbec, but I might start. This is really just a lovely wine. I didn’t expect so much blueberry though. Figured I’d get more blackberry, maybe more stewed black fruit. Smoothed our nicely and was wonderful with the ribeye steaks.

If I had another, I would decant, sample and leave it be for at least 2 hours.

My PS and Zin-PS blend are 3.5 years old and they are still wound pretty tight.

This opened up quite a bit in just an hour and a half. I don’t usually drink Malbec, but I might start. This is really just a lovely wine. I didn’t expect so much blueberry though. Figured I’d get more blackberry, maybe more stewed black fruit. Smoothed our nicely and was wonderful with the ribeye steaks.

If I had another, I would decant, sample and leave it be for at least 2 hours.

Correction. Decant a little longer. I saved a glass in the bottle overnight and had it while talking to my wife about houses. It was even better.

Last edited:
I shed a year or for over that spill. Then I did a calculation on the list amount. The article I saw said they would have sold for about $27 / bottle and if you assume 50,000 bottles. That's about $13.5million down the creek. That doesn't include any fines, Court costs, or cleanup cost.

Wonder if you can insure against losses like that....I suspect so.

Latest posts

Back