What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in anticipation of the spring grapes, I picked these two bottles up while christmas shopping. To my knowledge I've never had either, even in a blend...so I'm curious as to how they taste...
I might incorporate these into my spring plans..
I know alot of you have made with either or both so give me all the info and opinions you have!

15768074526813897720109787820185.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Petit Verdot is commonly added to Bordeaux blends, but at small percentages (like 5 to 10%). A winemaker once told me "Its like garlic -- a little is good." But it is only recently (I believe) available as a single-variety wine. Generally thought of as having good color and tannins.

Pinotage (if memory serves) is a cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsault. Cinsault has a distinctive, musky-but-pleasant taste. Pinotage definitely displays this, but to a lesser extent. It is South Africa's signature variety -- not sure you can even get it from elsewhere!

That bottle of PV should be PDG. Brennon is an amazing winemaker. He started out with EFESTE then went to make wine for Charles Smith wines and is charge of all of the high end labels for the brand. He has his own project (B. Leighton) on the side. Hard to believe you found that on the East Coast.

That bottle of PV should be PDG. Brennon is an amazing winemaker. He started out with EFESTE then went to make wine for Charles Smith wines and is charge of all of the high end labels for the brand. He has his own project (B. Leighton) on the side. Hard to believe you found that on the East Coast.
Nice to know I grabbed a good one, maybe i should pick up a few more/not give the extra one to my wine snob brother in law...

If you ever see anything else from him jump on it especially Syrah. I recently found a bottle of his Grenache at Costco a few weeks ago and snagged it. Costco had it for a steal of a price.

Nice to know I grabbed a good one, maybe i should pick up a few more/not give the extra one to my wine snob brother in law...

Screenshot_20191221-113501_Chrome.jpg
If you ever see anything else from him jump on it especially Syrah. I recently found a bottle of his Grenache at Costco a few weeks ago and snagged it. Costco had it for a steal of a price.
They have a Yakima red blend 2015 @46 bux as well....
Went to there website, they had pretty interesting info on the PD...does this indicate no crush? Naturally occurring fermentation? No MLF (they indicated Mlf on the others)....?

Last edited:
Sounds like no crush if they mention whole berries. Brennon has always preferred native yeast. Not unusual to not mention MLF because most people (except for another winemaker) have absolutely no idea what MLF is. WS liked it.

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.54.50 AM.png

Couple of wines from last night that were good but won't break the bank. The 2016 Cune Rioja was the happy hour wine at La Boca last night. 90 point wine from WS, WE, RP. Very food friendly, interesting, aproachable from the get go.

Ratings-Wine-Spectator-CUNE-News-552x351-OK3.jpg

After dinner we went back to some friends place for apre dinner festivities. They opened a few bottles and one of the better ones was actually a TW "winery direct" that was good and an excellent QPR. Looks to be on sale for the holidays as well if your near a TW definitely worth a try. Grenache-Tempranillo blend.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 8.32.20 AM.png

Last bottle of this blend from the infamous 2011 FVW Tour de Fresh Grapes! Just flat out amazing how this has not only held up but gotten better and better over the years. If you have proper storage and enough in the supply chain you will be rewarded I guarantee you. That Lafitte 1+1 looks amazing still! Sorry for the "dust on the bottle" and the greasy looking wine glass. This was post dinner and it was leftover flatbread pizza from a few nights ago. This was a 60% Merlot based or Right Bank Bordeaux blend. Just PNP no real airtime needed but still got better and better with dinner. Those Lodi grapes can make a pretty good wine even in a bad year.

IMG_5147.JPG

It’s Christmas Eve and I’m preparing my traditional manicotti with meatballs and sausage. Aside from the Pennsylvania Dutch Eggnog, I’m finishing off a bottle of Brunello. Half went in to the gravy (and yes, it’s gravy and not sauce). The other half goes to the cook.

View attachment 57981

Perfect with dinner too.

Last edited:
Tonight, it'll be the last of this and then something else. This one was rather disappointing. It's plain and IMO not worth what I paid for it. Oh well, not all purchases can be home runs! Like Jim above, I have something homemade to eat with it on Christmas eve – my first ever try at a 1977 recipe for bread my Italian mom gave me. Her bread was renowned. Hopefully, the next bottle out of the cellar will be better with it.

IMG_1435.jpg

Latest posts

Back