What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the bottle of South African syrah. I have seen this stuff for as little as $7. Very nice IMO.

244031.jpg

IMG_1449.JPG

This is a beast. Cola, blueberry, cherry. Tannins have mellowed really nicely, but I think this could still sit another few years and be great. Not likely to last that long, sadly. I only bottled what I had left after blending and am down to 4 bottles now.

Popped one of these last night with some pizza. Easy drinker for sure that will please most any crowd. Kitchen sink blend from Paso Robles.

troublemaker-blend-8.jpg

@ibglowin I guess I miss out on wines like that, a funky label on a home made bottle is fine, but for some reason I just can't get myself to buy a commercial wine with a funky label.

@ibglowin I guess I miss out on wines like that, a funky label on a home made bottle is fine, but for some reason I just can't get myself to buy a commercial wine with a funky label.

Isn't that funny, and if I am at the store and see a funky label, that's the one I'm going for. Not sure why that is, but I haven't been horribly disappointed often.

I snagged these to try as they were basically a 2nd tier label from Austin Hope a few weeks back after their flagship wine (pictured below) was named #10 on their Top 100 wines for 2019 by WE. The Troublemaker wines have also been spotted in the wild at various Costco as well as Albertson's. Pretty good for $12 and very close to the Columbia Crest H3 Les Chevaux red blend in quality.

IMG_5107.JPG

LOL I am interested in hearing your tasting notes. Like I said not a tannin monster but quite quaffable.

My first impression was the lack of tannin. Definitely a new world wine, but enjoyable. In line with what seems to be popular these days, though not overly so. Good amount of fruit, a hint of RS and very dark. I paid $13 and wasn't disappointed, but wasn't overwhelmed either. If it were available under $12 I'd say great buy. At $13, not bad.

Latest posts

Back