What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2016 Cellar Craft Malbec, started February 2016. Blown away at how good this tastes. It’s well balanced, has a great nose after a twirl but does not linger and, is pairing very nice with these nachos I just finished baking.

I actually tried this wine at the two year mark. Here are my quick notes on that bottle: "4/7/2019, It’s good, not great. I hope it gets better in another year. I had high hopes for this CC wine."

Six months later and, wow. Pretty instructive...

Last edited:
On Saturday, I stumbled on a bottle of this 2006 in a gourmet grocery, for which I promptly overpaid $2, since I have drained all of mine. A serendipitous surprise, it made a delightful evening.
244951.jpg

What came to the top of the spreadsheet was a 2010 Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills Merlot. I laid a case of this inexpensive wine away about 7 years ago, and have 3 left after this one. The nose is a bit boozy, but a very nice balance of fruit and mineral notes, and pleasant on the palate.

Going to the beer side tonight. Last Sunday visited a dear friend of mine, he was my boss when I worked as a student at Dickinson College where I got my BS in CS. We enjoyed coaching an Eagles game together (first time in about 15 years), and they even won! He had this beer that he now prefers that was originally made (the version I had and bought was made at a second brewery in Chicago) within a few miles of where his Son and family now live in Calif. He had a chance to drink it "from the source" and was nice enough to let me enjoy a few bottles (ain't cheap stuff, six-pack is $15 with tax around these parts).

Picked up some today and have to admit that just a few are more than enough. Might be a possible solution to cutting my beer calories down since drinking a "few" is much better than what I've been doing lately. Incredible hop flavor and smooth as silk for a Pale Ale. Might have inspired me to make up a batch this weekend, haven't brewed in quite some time.

11-5-19_good-beer.jpg

I didn't think I could out do yesterday's Lagunitas beer, but I think I did. 8% ABV, 60 IBU's. I think I'll have some hops coursing through my veins for a few days. I'm hoping that is a good thing. I should be entertaining tonight to say the least at our bible study. Hope the hops don't pour out my pores. I had better get my better half to drive.

Did pick up 8 lbs of Maris Otter pale ale malt, some 60L crystal malt, some high powered hops and liquid yeast to attempt a brew this weekend. Don't think I can come close to either of these, but I gotta try. Even if I miss badly it will be an enjoyable quaff.

11-6-19_lagunitas-cluster-fuck.jpg

Opened a 2016 Petite Sirah made with Lanza grapes. I bottled it after a year and there was some major sediment. But, it was otherwise very nice. Not entirely ready for consumption. Maybe another year.

All that said, it’s inky dark and clear, with a stewed plum and blueberry palate. Tannins still need to fade before it’s ready.

Drinking some of this nice old school Zinfandel from Dry Creek. Very classic California Zinfandel that will be good for several more years! I'm getting black berries, tannin, some firm flavors.

Dry Creek is an AVA in the northern end of Sonoma County. It's a great place to visit if you're out this way. Dry Creek made it's name with Zinfandel, but also known for good Cabernet as well.

46E16470-34F6-4D3D-98C6-11D9DD65B120.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with Dry Creek Valley for Zinfandel. My favorite is Seghesio. They've been around over 100 years. They also produce a very good Sangiovese.

Can't go wrong with Dry Creek Valley for Zinfandel. My favorite is Seghesio. They've been around over 100 years. They also produce a very good Sangiovese.

Eclipse Columbia Valley Riesling. Really coming into its own. Super happy with this one.

(It's almost quitting time here so I thought I would cruise through this thread to get nice and thirsty... Heheheheheh...)

So last night was a glass of Jam Jar sweet shiraz. That's an interesting low-brow take on shiraz. And since I'm low-brow, I liked it.

21588_XXX_v1.jpg

Latest posts

Back