What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Forza Italian wine from a kit I made in 2015. Opened one up the other day and used it as a base for a London broil marinate. Wifey poured a glass thinking it was one of her wines for dinner tonight. She got quite the surprise. I told her to put the glass aside and I'd eventually drink it tonight, but she finished it. She thought there was a bit of a sodium aftertaste as it warmed up. I got hints of that too, but the big thing for me was that the residual sweetness left in the wine (I only used one of the yeasts when fermenting, ended up at 0.996 I think) seems to have taken on a hint of sherry flavor. It was quite enjoyable, and now on my third glass I am realizing just how potent this wine is. Nice to finally taste one of my wines that is > 4 years old. The Viognier and this wine prove to me that aging is probably the missing ingredient when I'm not super pleased with one of my wines. If you don't like it now, ignore it for a few years and hopefully it gets better. I'm 2 for 2 in that category.

"Colossal" - another Touriga Nacional blend that I've come to enjoy - especially on burger night. $9.99 for a WS 90 point wine? No complaints. While I suspect there is a touch of Mega Purple in there, it's pretty darn good for the price.

I'm pleased with it at $14.99 - especially after it got some air on it. Pretty nice QPR. I've all but given up on TW. Too much "Winery Direct" garbage.

Agree. We went to dinner at some friends a few weeks ago and they had visited TW looking for something "special" to serve with dinner. They of course pushed them to the #1 wine on their list for 2019 and talked it up like it was HUGE and cellar worthy and made by the same winery as Caymus and Joe Wagner and yada yada yada and of course its "Winery Direct".

It was not worth $18 IMHO. No tannins, and it tasted like it had a hefty amount of RS left in the bottle. Like something you could pop and pour and quaff at an after work related get together during the holidays. It did have a heavy bottle though.......

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 6.57.52 PM.png

The heavy bottle thing is totally a ridiculous trend. I had one recently where the bottle weighed more than the wine in it and in fact was still heavy when empty. The gods must be crazy.

I see what you did there!

Gods_must_be_crazyposter.jpg

I made hanger steak with chimichurri for dinner, so a really nice CC Showcase Argentine Malbec seemed appropriate. We enjoyed it.

For the second round, after DW was done tippling for the day, I decided to kill off my 6-yr-old Mezza Luna. I had exactly one bottle left from the second-ever batch I made. It has been reliably dreadful (which helped me not to get rid of it too early! :) )

I was hoping that, aftr 6 years, it would have come around a little. Nope, it is basically dreck, out of balance and full of KT. Quel domage! The batch is over now.

a PINK MUCSATO......nice and clean semi -dri finish ,good fruit.

Attachments

• muscato 006.jpg
    muscato 006.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 18
  • muscato 007.jpg
    muscato 007.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 19
Back