What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3E578F3D-F24C-45C5-A17B-DA5DEE086CB4.jpeg

Spanish wines continue to impress!

This is a really nice wine from COSTCO.

It 60% Monastrell, 40% Garnacha and like most Spanish wines, great with food. Having this tonight with Pork Marsala.

This wine is $6.99. I have had many wines for $20 that don't come close to this. It's unbelievable quality for the $, like many Spanish wines.

And I went back and bought a case for later! That's my Costco strategy. Buy two if something is interesting. If I like it and it has some cellar potential, I go back and buy a case the next day. If they're out, at least I still have one.

Last edited:
Well, George Bush was president when this was made. This is one of the last of my experimental aging-cheap-wines-to-see-if-I-can-change-$8-wines-into-$9-wines bottles. The answer is a definitive "yes." But that could simply be due to inflation. ;)

Seriously, this was quite nice. Very pleased with it. Too bad there is only one left.

DSCN2405.jpg

In the spirit of "Open that Bottle". 2010 Doubleback Cabernet Sauvignon. Mrs IB gave it a two thumbs up which is damn near impossible.

7948xz-3510.jpg

Mrs IB gave it a two thumbs up which is damn near impossible.

Not sure why that would be the case. I am giving it two thumbs up just based on the picture! But, I suppose Mrs. IB is more discriminating than I am (other, of course, than her choice of spouses).

Looks very nice from here!

She says it's very "berryish" which is wife speak for "fruit forward" or "fruit BOMB"......

Decanted for several hours and kept it cool in the winery. WS gave this a 94. It was a very enjoyable bottle and a special occasion. I like a little more tannin bite. Mrs. IB does not. Fair amount of sediment so glad I decanted. This wine was made by Chris Figgins who has since turned the reigns over to a new (young) winemaker a couple years ago.

Not sure why that would be the case. I am giving it two thumbs up just based on the picture! But, I suppose Mrs. IB is more discriminating than I am (other, of course, than her choice of spouses).

Looks very nice from here!

Well, in my glass this afternoon. They sent us all home early because NWS said 80% chance of severe weather this afternoon, oh my GOD, we're all gonna die! So I did what I was told, got home, sipped a glass of this and watched it rain hard - not even any thunder - and now the sun is trying to poke through. I bought this wine on a lark cuz a forum member had posted about it. Four years in the cellar has done it absolute wonders!

IMG_1113.jpg

Yep and what is it $6.99 a bottle? That's about what it cost to make a WE Eclipse NZ Sauv Blanc!

Have you checked the pH on that wine? Curious as to how "crisp" it is on the tongue.

Have I mentioned how good is this one and how cheap it is at Costco?

Yep and what is it $6.99 a bottle? That's about what it cost to make a WE Eclipse NZ Sauv Blanc!

Have you checked the pH on that wine? Curious as to how "crisp" it is on the tongue.

Yes, $6.99

Costco employee tells me that is one of their best sellers (and I wonder why....lol)

I haven't checked pH, will try tomorrow if I remember but would need to leave it outside for room temp and get a better reading.

This wine is crisp when it touches your tongue.

I took some and left out to room temperature.
Calibrated the meter but the meter came to 4.02 in the 4 solution.

Cold and without calibrating the meter the wine was reading about 4.20 or so.

IMG_0027.JPG

I have to admit that the meter probe seems to be going out of whack.

I left the meter sitting in that bit of wine for a few minutes and it was then reading 2.98 pH [emoji15]

This wine is crisp when it touches your tongue.

I took some and left out to room temperature.
Calibrated the meter but the meter came to 4.02 in the 4 solution.

Cold and without calibrating the meter the wine was reading about 4.20 or so.

View attachment 53858

Do you keep your house at 78 degrees, or was that sample in the oven? :D

Latest posts

Back