What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks ask me what wine I like. My response is usually 'the wine my wife doesn't like'. To further explain, she likes to buy lots of different types of wine, but only likes half of the bottles she opens. So, I guess I've become eclectic in my tastes, whether I like to be or not. Can't leave all that open wine sitting around.

1/2 bottle of 2018 Lodi Cab left over from bottling the carboy for topping wine. Pretty chilly since it’s been in the fridge since yesterday morning, still getting a pretty nice nose from it. Surprisingly smooth for a 4 month old wine, way better than my last sample for sure. Guess I’ll give it another 18 months or so.

2018 WInexpert LE Milagro Blanco - first bottle from the batch. I went back through my notes and the description from WE, it definitely carries notes of passion fruit and white flowers on the nose. And, is supported by juicy melon, peach, fresh lime and grass with a hint of honey on the palate. Delicious!

Note: an hour after opening and warming up a bit closer to room temperature, this wine is very good. I would highly recommend.

During a remodel of our guest bedroom, we decided to add a wine rack into one side of the closet. But during the shuffling around of bottles and knocking some dust off of some 'aging?' wines, I discovered this. Wonder if it's still good?

IMG_6578.jpg IMG_6594.jpg

Now that I look at the pics, I see some glue that I missed during cleanup.

Yeah, I gotta admit I bought this shiraz cuz of the label. :D Expectations are as low as the price, so after I get through with the Aussie Shiraz I am on now, we'll see... UNDER EDIT: Well, I'll be horn-swaggled... It's an Aussie brand! If it's any good, I'll go buy a dozen at this price...

19Crimes 2016 Shiraz 750.png

Made for Millenials so its more than likely off dry......

Mike, I shouldn't have opened 19 Crimes shiraz last night after finishing the last of a good bottle of shiraz. Overtones of kerosene, is the best I can describe it. At the time I thought it quite possibly the most awful wine I have ever had. One sip, the rest of the glass went down the sink, and I finished the session with a good small acreage Bordeaux instead. I saved the remainder of the bottle. Will sip one more time just to see if the contrast was what did it in the first time. But so far... Interesting label to avoid! Oh yeah, it is off dry. :D

LOL I kinda figured as much after reading about the wine a while back in one of those free online wine magazines you see. Perhaps it might be good as meat marinade or cooking wine?

Mike, I shouldn't have opened 19 Crimes shiraz last night after finishing the last of a good bottle of shiraz. Overtones of kerosene, is the best I can describe it. At the time I thought it quite possibly the most awful wine I have ever had. One sip, the rest of the glass went down the sink, and I finished the session with a good small acreage Bordeaux instead. I saved the remainder of the bottle. Will sip one more time just to see if the contrast was what did it in the first time. But so far... Interesting label to avoid! Oh yeah, it is off dry. :D

LOL I kinda figured as much after reading about the wine a while back in one of those free online wine magazines you see. Perhaps it might be good as meat marinade or cooking wine?

I just tried a sip again. It's not terrible, unless you are opening a bottle after a really good cellared shiraz like I did last night. The contrast is what made it awful. Minus the afterglow of the good stuff first, it tastes about like the price I paid - off dry and flat. It retails for $14 and I paid $9, attracted like a moth to the interesting label. LOL. I would not pay $14. I'd buy a 4-year-old small acreage Bordeaux for that money instead and shove the leftover bottles in the cool shade. :D

Tonight we'll be sharing a bottle of 2016 WE Old Vine Zinfandel - had the first bottle on Christmas Day and it was great. I expect the same or better tonight. We're in the middle of one of the biggest snow storms in recent Seattle history. We're hunkered in...

Heard you guys were getting walloped out there. At least you have plenty of wine, and that Weber kettle is under cover. Time to whip up some good eats and drink some good wine by the fire.

Been hearing about Snowmageddon for days now. Every winery in WWV closed yesterday through the weekend sounds like. Even Woodinville is hunkering down. Yesterday a winemaking friend of mine posted its so bad all the citrus was wiped out at the grocery store along with the tonic water which can only mean one thing! LOL

Tonight we'll be sharing a bottle of 2016 WE Eclipse Old Vine Zinfandel - had the first bottle on Christmas Day and it was great. I expect the same or better tonight. We're in the middle of one of the biggest snow storms in recent Seattle history. We're hunkered in...

Latest posts

Back