What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The palate is dry, balanced and slightly tannic.
Had the last large glass of this (Contessa di Radda Chianti), been vacuvin'ed for 11 days now. I disagree with the slightly tannic description, it's still very tannic. I poured the glass 45 minutes ago and I think it's tightening up a bit more, like a nice breast does when it hits cold air (I talking chicken breasts on the way to the outdoor grill here).

Last bottle of my 2011 El Disidente' made from fresh grapes from FVW. Feeling a little sad that they are only days away from closing their doors. 56% Merlot, 22% Cab Franc, 11% Malbec, 11% Petit Verdot. Plenty of life left in this wine. Needed about 30 mins of airtime which it got while I was making the Pizza. :)IMG_3807.JPG

In a similar vein, I drained the last of one of my first kits, a 5-yr-old CC Showcase Amarone. It was not the first kit I made, but it was the whole reason I got into winemaking, id est, to make bad Amarone. I decided to make two kits before that one to get my feet wet. Still, it was sad to see this one go, as it was the end of an era. It honestly isn't all that great (probably beginner's mistakes), but it had a lot of sentimental value.

Wifey and I enjoyed a left over glass from back sweetening an Island Mist Raspberry/Peach Sangria (started last March). For some unknown reason (probably drinking) I put half of the flavor pack in for the primary ferment, and discarded the leftover 750 ml (about half) that I'd normally put in to finish the wine after stabilizing. So had to come up with an alternate plan, which included some sugar and a quart of Peach/White Cranberry Ocean Spray fruit drink. Actually turned out pretty well to this point (resting for a day before I bottle it). Not disgustingly sweet like it's supposed to be, and the peach flavor really stands out. The bestest thing is that my wife prefers the less sweet wine. It's only a matter of time until she comes to the "dry side".

At a church Christmas party [emoji322]
Moscato
How sweet? I just finished one off at 1.003. Wifey said she doesn't like the overall flavor of a muscat (which I love, but not too sweet) so I made the wine mine, on the dryer side.

Also had a sample of a Cranberry Chianti (from a 2017 Chilean juice bucket). Had the SG up to about 1.001. Wifey wanted more sweetness (which will pull a bit more cranberry flavor out) so I upped it to 1.005. Will let it settle tonight and try tomorrow before bottling.

3 year old bottle of black berry wine. Outstanding when your nose hits the glass and nice finish. Excellent, but only one more bottle remains.

I will enjoy this one!!

Latest posts

Back