What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broken Earth Winery 2014 Merlot (says from Paso Robles) - really intense fruit with nice oak (label says French barrels) but reminds me of my Diablo Rojo kit - seems like some residual sweetness, was expecting a much drier wine. Maybe the beer(s) I just drank messed up my taste buds a bit.

Edit: flavor is getting drier the more I drink. I think the beer had something to do with my initial comment about residual sugars. A very pleasant glass of Merlot for a $10.39 bottle.

Last edited:
This 2015 Elouan Pinot Noir has greater depth and intensity than what is typical of Oregon Pinot Noir. Rich, ruby in color. Ripe cranberry, a touch of spice and fresh Bing cherry create an inviting bouquet with a subtle earthiness. The flavor profile shows red plum, bright cherry, minerality and dusty earth with a hint of sweet tobacco. The rustic layers of flavor are complemented by vanilla, spice and soft, refined tannins.

Does the 2015 description match your 2016 wine? Almost picked that up yesterday instead of the Merlot, but it was a bit more expensive (like double the Merlot). And I am a cheap bastard, just ask my wife.

This 2015 Elouan Pinot Noir has greater depth and intensity than what is typical of Oregon Pinot Noir. Rich, ruby in color. Ripe cranberry, a touch of spice and fresh Bing cherry create an inviting bouquet with a subtle earthiness. The flavor profile shows red plum, bright cherry, minerality and dusty earth with a hint of sweet tobacco. The rustic layers of flavor are complemented by vanilla, spice and soft, refined tannins.

Does the 2015 description match your 2016 wine? Almost picked that up yesterday instead of the Merlot, but it was a bit more expensive (like double the Merlot). And I am a cheap bastard, just ask my wife.

With the exception of the minerality, spot on. I'm a fan. I've had the 2015 in the past and enjoyed it as well.

Started with half a Guinness (the other half went into a batch of chili). Now onto the leftovers from today's bottling. It's about 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Petite Sirah and it is pretty darn nice.

Just doing some quality control on a cheap kit I tweaked and racked yesterday. It was a $40 grocery store 7L kit (Australian trio- merlot, cab sav, and shiraz) that I added a fpac to in primary. Definitely tasting the fruit (raspberry) but it's pretty drinkable, for just being about 6 weeks in. Little light, but I figure it will work out to $2/bottle- and I'm enjoying it more than some $15 bottles I've had- so I'm not complaining. Can't wait to see how it ages out! This will be my interim/cooking wine and for when I'm needing a break from the fruit wine.

black box Pino griot, and I tasted 3 different carboys of apple cider, learning about winemaking! Hope we can be able to make more than I consume!

A $12 bottle of Chianti I picked up a few weeks ago. Good, but I just don't notice any heirloom tomatoes in the nose. False advertising in my opinion. Maybe the taster was gardening before he wrote his notes?

Chairman's Selection®

Quoted at $25.00*......Save $10.01

“Contessa di Radda has a ruby red color. The nose opens with a large and intense bouquet of heirloom tomato. The palate is dry, balanced and slightly tannic. Perfect for accompanying first courses and red meats, it is ideal in combination with seasoned cheeses.”
*Winemaker’s notes

“Cherry and purple flowers with a melted wax note, lavender and spice. The palate is expertly balanced and complex.”

Edit: I did cut some cheese while drinking a glass of this. Didn't really add anything positive to the experience. Wine does have some nice legs...
Sorry, everytime someone mentions that a wine has nice legs, the above song comes to mind.
Guess that dates me a bit...

11-16-18_chianti.jpg

Last edited:
2015 RJS LR Aglianico. Probably one of the best red kits I've done in a few years. Lighter and less tannic than its commercial counterpart (as all red kits are), but the flavor profile is very much there. Nice wine.

Last evening I opened a bottle of my first wine using juice buckets, maybe like 5~6 years old because I didn't keep good notes back then.
I think this was a blend of Cab/Merlot, light in color and flavor but it was smooth actually and enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back