What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
37174867_10156421676004454_6671090190812971008_n.jpg

Bunch of family in town this weekend and we were hosting last night. As it was Bastille Day, we went through a fair amount of French wine. This is just a sampling. Several bottles of Broad Run Cellars wine went as well, including the blueberry port I made several years ago. It has come around pretty nicely. IMG_7086.JPG

A five month old porter I made on 2-17-18. Earlier tastings had an overwhelmingly smokey black malt flavor profile. This tasting showed a refined smokey malt flavor as a component to the overall flavor. I'm rather impressed how this has aged. I'm not one to age a beer longer than necessary to drink, so this bottling "experiment" has worked out favorably, as in I saved a few bottles (a case worth) longer than I normally would have. This is an excellent porter and will be drunk heavily in the next few weeks so it doesn't go bad.

I just wish a red wine would hit it's stride at 5 months, not 3 years.

7-21-18_porter.jpg

I wanted to add I don't like napa cab savs because they are too overpowering and hot and oaked for me. Just over the top. Cab franc is more my style because it's smooth a little less tannins and acid. Plus I can blend it with all my other grapes.

Visit to my son’s for weekend. Tried a bottle of my Valpolicella kit wine. Everyone liked it. Nov. 2017 bottled. I gotta save a few for longer aging.

I make country wines mainly so when I saw an interesting item in the Walmart freezer, I figured "why not." It was a combo of cherries, plums, blueberries and, are you ready, cocoa nibs. As made, it turned out to be a very passable dessert wine. May cut the back sweetening a bit next time. It was packaged by Wymans, from Maine.

More happy tasters of my DB and Valpolicella at mom’s 90th birthday party tonite. Relatives really liked both. One wanted to know if I can ship bottles to her!

I am reporting this just for the ingredient list! I had a (okay, so-so) wine from WTSO called Angosto, from Valencia, Spain. It is a single-vineyard wine, which is somewhat significant when you read the included varieties: Malbec, Garnacha Tintorera (aka Alicante Bouschet), Syrah, Graciano, and Cabernet Franc. That is quite the mouthful!

This was a 2009 vintage, and it was a bit harsh and pétillant upon opening. A few hour's worth of decanting took the edge off both of those, but it was still "meh" (despite what Robert Parker was purported to say!).

I am reporting this just for the ingredient list! I had a (okay, so-so) wine from WTSO called Angosto, from Valencia, Spain. It is a single-vineyard wine, which is somewhat significant when you read the included varieties: Malbec, Garnacha Tintorera (aka Alicante Bouschet), Syrah, Graciano, and Cabernet Franc. That is quite the mouthful!

This was a 2009 vintage, and it was a bit harsh and pétillant upon opening. A few hour's worth of decanting took the edge off both of those, but it was still "meh" (despite what Robert Parker was purported to say!).

Assuming I’m looking up the right wine, wonder if you got an oldie?
WA tasted this wine in May of 2011, rating of 91 by Jay S Miller (don’t know his work), with the statement that the wine would evolve for 1-2 years, but is approachable now (meaning May 2011). No drinking window is specifically given in the review, which leads me to believe that 1-2 years was the horizon, And should have been consumed several years ago.

Cellar Tracker, a bit less liberal with the score, has it at 89, with a drinking window ending in 2015.

Latest posts

Back