What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight we had a 2012 Bonatello by g. Cuneo winery in Columbia Valley Washington. A Sanginovese. We bought this last summer on our RV Calif winery trip. We loved the winery & this wine at their tasting, but a year later we "Said What were we thinking? "Today it's about $75 a bottle! I had to add some Sweet Vermouth to it, third glass added some Brandy too! It got better. Guess we got caught up in the tasting experience! Ever happen to anyone else??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 31
I think you may have been snookered Roy. There are literally no reviews for this winery or wines and anyone trying to sell any wine for anything North of $30 is gonna put their wines up for review somewhere at some point if they want to be taken seriously. Sorry it was not up to snuff. Hope it wasn't just "corked" or something simple.

Mike, it might have been "corked" . However the Real cork looked good with a little ring of red on the bottom. The taste was ever slightly vinegar ish. Believe we paid $35 for it, but when I googled it it came up as $75. It was a great RV Winery trip so we are not upset. Headed to the Finger Lakes Wineries this summer. Roy

Well, it is a hot night here. I happen to have open a half bottle of chilled "Porch Pounder" Sloppy Seconds Syrah, and another bottle of "meh" WE SI Argentine Malbec. I have spent most of this hot night hitting 2/3 of the cold Syrah, combined with 1/3 of the Argentine Malbec. It has all worked out just fine! :)

I know we all say that life is too short to drink bad wine. But when it is your own and when it is red and when the only issue is too much oak and it needs a further two years of bottle time. Then it is an absolute sin to discard the bottle if it has been opened. So I will suffer for my sin. No problem though. I have learned. And now only add oak at the level of 3 to 6 grams per litre.

ECD8709A-3A5C-40AA-9A27-830880029BE7.jpeg
Went to a friend's house for dinner last night (grilled chicken and mudbugs!). I brought the first two bottles of my 2017 Washington Viognier (from a juice bucket). I am well-pleased with this batch. In addition, I brought one of the first bottles of my 2017 Syrah Sloppy Seconds. That is, this was a second-run wine from Red Mountain Syrah skins. It is not great wine, but we decided to give it a try chilled. I thought we might want toss it if it were not up to snuff, but in fact it turned out to be a nice "Porch Pounder" on a hot afternoon when chilled. It is fruity; it has a slightly artificial fruit taste that perhaps comes from the tartaric acid used to acidulate the water. I imagine it would also make an excellent base for sangria or a granita/granité.
very generous of you to take three bottles

Older corks you need to use an "Ah So" opener.

ah-so-wine-bottle-opener.gif

CC Showcase Lodi Old Vine Zin. Started 21 months ago. It's nice, but I never got it fully degassed ( it was one of my first wines). There is just a hint of CO2 left. This one is definitely on my "do again" list. I have 11 bottles left.
M

Have you tried using a wine aeriator during pour from bottle to glass? Residual gas should disappear.

My first sampling of Carménère. It's definitely not a high-end label, but I've come to the conclusion that the Chileans may be on to something...

Back