What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I'll have to look for that one. I didn't see any comments, did you like it? The Giant near my work has a nice selection (for a Giant) plus I have a Wegmans about a mile up the road from the Giant, just hate the traffic to get there.

Not outstanding, but pretty good.

Funny story: A young colleague invited a few people to his house after a work event, and those of us attending brought beer or wine to share. Another young colleague brought a bottle of red wine (in a Hock-ish bottle of all things). The person who brought it said that it was a gift from someone else; he didn't really drink wine, so he was re-gifting it. The recipient quizzically read aloud a note taped to it that said "Don't open until December." Hmmm... :? From across the room, I espied a familiar-looking label of a partially blacked-out sun.

"May I have a look?" It turned out to be a WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cab. To much puzzlement, I explained that this was homemade wine. Personally, my main concern was the "December" label. With a note like that, I imagine it was bottled very young. We didn't open it (despite the fact that it is December! :) ), so I don't know how it played out.

opened a bottle I've had for a while - Troutman Vineyards Blackberry. OMG. I want to roll in it. It's a teeny weeny bottle that'll net you about one whole glass, but holey moley, it's tasty. Makes me want to make blackberry wine to see if I can come close.

I finished the end of a WE Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot, and then dug into a CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab. Both are about 2 yrs old. The Merlot blew the Cab away, but context matters. The cab just tastes young, with a hint of KT. I have a much older version of the Cab (4 yrs), which does not share this taste, so I will be patient.

I finished a GCI Syrah earlier and ended with a CS Cab/Shiraz/Merlot.
The Syrah is 2 years and is a definite go to. The Cab blend is young (just over a year) but tastes ok

WE LE Vermentino last night.

Tasting notes Jim?

I haven't tasted this wine since bottling day and have another batch in carboy bulk aging (time to bottle soon).

I was not impressed with the first batch but maybe it has improved, would like to hear your opinion.

Tasting notes Jim?

I haven't tasted this wine since bottling day and have another batch in carboy bulk aging (time to bottle soon).

I was not impressed with the first batch but maybe it has improved, would like to hear your opinion.

Nice and crisp, dry and not overly fruity - good minerality. I really enjoy it. That wasn't the case earlier on though. This one was started 4/1 and bottled 7/8.

I wish I could be able to say the same about the WE LE2015 Super Tuscan, after 2 years and it is just mehhhh (sounds like a sheep?) :(

Yeah, I know you know that I also made that Super Tuscan, and did NOT list it as my best wine! :) I agree -- it's better than a sharp stick in the eye, but just "meh."

And I started that WE LE ST in April 2015, so over 2 years and a half ago, well maybe I should open a bottle now and check on it but I know I will be disappointed again...

I wish I could be able to say the same about the WE LE2015 Super Tuscan, after 2 years and it is just mehhhh (sounds like a sheep?) :(

Ha! I accidentally grabbed one of those from a box labeled "Super Tuscan" last night - thought it was the Winery Series. I promptly put it back and went for a WS Amarone instead. I know a few of us have made that, and I haven't seen any good reviews on it.

Latest posts

Back