What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finishing the other half of a Forza tonight. I honestly believe this is my best wine to date. Mrs Mann likes the Stags Leap Merlot better. But, this is just a monster.

Huh. I cracked a bottle of my Forza tonight. Initial thoughts were 'Cherry Coke'. After that, it got better - more like a decent wine with a lot of oak and fruit. Still mega kit taste though - which I wouldn't expect from a wine that turned two yesterday.

I decided to try a early aronia port wine - it is really good !

Young but very good - I hope I can hold onto it for several years

Huh. I cracked a bottle of my Forza tonight. Initial thoughts were 'Cherry Coke'. After that, it got better - more like a decent wine with a lot of oak and fruit. Still mega kit taste though - which I wouldn't expect from a wine that turned two yesterday.
Hmmm, I don't get as much cherry in mine (I feel slighted), but I do get that kit feeling/flavor/aroma. At this point I wish I would have added the second yeast to get rid of more of the residual sugar. Reminds me a little of a stronger version of the Diablo Rojo kit I made a while back.

In another Nebbiolo kit thread we talked about difficulties finding a local shop stocking lesser known varietals.
Well I just got back from another informative stop at my new shop. Tonight we settled on a petite sirah, ov Zin, and a valpolicella.
Now to decide which cork to pop.
IMG_1512088163.044407.jpg

I've had the Tommasi Valpo Ripasso a few times - its great. If that's any indication, I'd say the one on the left will be good.

First of 3 in the Cellar. Needed lots of AIR......... Did not suck! LOL

2014-crowdsourced-cabernet-sauvignon.jpg

I've had the Tommasi Valpo Ripasso a few times - its great. If that's any indication, I'd say the one on the left will be good.

Ditto on the Tommasi Ripasso. Which is still the closest I’ve come to drinking an actual Amarone.
Wanted to give the classic valpo a whirl. Ya know, for research.

Time to put em away for a while then Air is for cheaters! :) ... my shop has a larger than typical Wash state section. I’ve got big plans for that aisle. Most bought in $20 range did not suck either. Cellar-worthy buys coming as soon as the cellar is built next year!

2014-crowdsourced-cabernet-sauvignon.jpg

My 2015 needed lots of air as well. But it was still darn good. Put the other two away for a while. Didn't look like they did a 2016 or 2017, so I may keep 'em around longer than I want, just for collectors sake.

Was not quite sure what to expect on this wine. Too many cooks spoil the........
Had this in the cellar for over a year now. $20 a bottle it could have been a bottle of H3 but was pleasantly so much more. Not only did it need lots of air, it really needs more time to come together in the bottle I think. I will let this sit for 18 months and revisit but this was a very nice QPR wine.

My 2015 needed lots of air as well. But it was still darn good. Put the other two away for a while. Didn't look like they did a 2016 or 2017, so I may keep 'em around longer than I want, just for collectors sake.

The valpo was much lighter than I anticipated. But tough to judge w/o being familiar with the grape. Doesn’t hold a candle to Ripasso. I kinda thought since the same grapes make up Amarone and was aged 15 month is Slovenian oak that it be a bold wine. But not the case. Easy drinking table wine. Blah.

The valpo was much lighter than I anticipated. But tough to judge w/o being familiar with the grape. Doesn’t hold a candle to Ripasso. I kinda thought since the same grapes make up Amarone and was aged 15 month is Slovenian oak that it be a bold wine. But not the case. Easy drinking table wine. Blah.

I did a Valpo from a juice bucket a few years back. Tried to "Amarone it up" by using raisins in primary and secondary, gave it oak (no barrel time, curiously - I had at least one barrel at that time), added tannin. I was disappointed at how light it was at first, but it was a nice, fruity table wine.

Maybe I'm just too easy... or, maybe I just got really lucky. I got red fruit, leather and dark chocolate with mine. Very nice complexity.

I did sent a half bottle of the Forza in for the wine competition in Jersey. Interested to know what they say about it.

Well, now you know! The whole reason we have Amarone is because the grapes of the Veneto region are light-bodied. The process of partially drying the grapes to make Amarone serves to concentrate the flavors and sugars, to make a denser wine that is also high in ABV. The ancients found that desirable because, err.... their normal wines were too light-bodied! :)

I was disappointed at how light it was at first, but it was a nice, fruity table wine.
The glass of Cab I drank right before likely didn’t help my assessment either. But if a wine was needed to please the masses for a big meal, one that is easy drinking and off the beaten path to strike up convo, then I could see myself buying it again.
Well, now you know! The whole reason we have Amarone is because the grapes of the Veneto region are light-bodied. :)
That’s not enough Paul. Need to know Why are this regions grapes lighter? And Its because of the regions unique barometric pressure. The grapes just can’t handle it. (Don’t correct me. Just accept as fact :) )

shiraz 002.jpg Tonight is 2013 Jim Barry - The Lodge Hill Shiraz. Nice bouquet. Intense, muscular, complex. Quite the head rush from the alcohol. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back