What's in an Amarone kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbu50

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'd appreciate knowing what you get in an "Amarone" kit in order to get that crazy Amarone profile. I'd appreciate if somebody could give me the rundown... I read that traditional amarone uses sun dried grapes and some maceration with last year's wine, etc... Obviously a kit will not go through that process, so I'm interested in what they do and recommend, thanks!

I'm a big fan of the Amarone kits from RJSpangnals. En Primeur, there are two different Amarone kits, one called something like Classico Style, the other called just Italian Amarone. The Italian one comes with wine skins, raisins, and oak. The Classico one doesn't have raisins, I believe. I have only ever made the Italian Style one, I always buy two at a time, bulk age for at least a year, bottle age for at least 18 months. They are amazing.

I have done the Classico. It comes with more juice and only dried skins. I have yet to open a bottle of it.

I'm a big fan of the Amarone kits from RJSpangnals. En Primeur, there are two different Amarone kits, one called something like Classico Style, the other called just Italian Amarone. The Italian one comes with wine skins, raisins, and oak. The Classico one doesn't have raisins, I believe. I have only ever made the Italian Style one, I always buy two at a time, bulk age for at least a year, bottle age for at least 18 months. They are amazing.

The Italian one comes with crushed skins or dried?

I’ve done the WE Selection Amarone with skins (they don’t market this one anymore) a couple times. I add a couple cups of raisins in the primary, oak and finishing tannin to my secondary, and bulk age for a year after an extended maceration of 8 weeks.

Big reds like the Amarone need a couple years of aging (at least) before they’re ready.

The Italian one comes with crushed skins or dried?
I just tasted my RJS Italian Aramone at the 6 month mark and it’s already getting good. Can’t wait to try it again at the year mark and see how it’s progressed. Excellent kit.

I have made both. Eclipse Forza is a wonderful kit, turns out very good, given time to come around. But it isn't an Amarone, much lighter, different flavor profile altogether.

Weird. Winexpert describes it as "Amarone style.". Do the ingredients seem to match the style, per OP's question?

Weird. Winexpert describes it as "Amarone style.". Do the ingredients seem to match the style, per OP's question?

The grapes are close to what is in an Amarone - Corvina with Sangiovese and Barbera grapes. But it doesn't come with raisins.

DOC Amarone grapes - partially dried grapes of the Corvina (45–95%, of which up to 50% could be substituted with Corvinone), Rondinella (5–30%) and other approved red grape varieties (up to 25%).

I think the Sangiovese makes it a bit lighter than an Amarone. Don't misunderstand, Forza makes a very good wine, but it isn't an Amarone.

So after WE discontinued the Selection Amarone with skins, they don't have any "Amarone" in their range any longer?

The grapes are close to what is in an Amarone - Corvina with Sangiovese and Barbera grapes. But it doesn't come with raisins.

DOC Amarone grapes - partially dried grapes of the Corvina (45–95%, of which up to 50% could be substituted with Corvinone), Rondinella (5–30%) and other approved red grape varieties (up to 25%).

I think the Sangiovese makes it a bit lighter than an Amarone. Don't misunderstand, Forza makes a very good wine, but it isn't an Amarone.

It’s also fair to mention that IF the manufacturers are using the proper varietals, in proper proportions, you can bet that the grapes aren’t dried like a true Amarone. After harvest, and before any crushing / de stemming, Amarone grapes are dried for months, losing water in the process, which increases both the concentration and the sugar content of the juice. I suspect that when the kit juice is dehydrated / concentrated, the quantity of water removed is higher than the quantity replaced when the kit is rehydrated, at best. I’ve spoken with two kit makers over the years and not received a straight answer, which is telling.

So after WE discontinued the Selection Amarone with skins, they don't have any "Amarone" in their range any longer?

Surprisingly, no. Forza is as close as you get in a WE kit these days. I made that kit when it was the 16% abv limited release version. I named it “Comfortably Numb.” Objectively, one of the best kits I ever made.

Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone is a quite tasty too I might add.

Latest posts

Back