What's in a name

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled and labeled my first 6 gallon batch a few days ago. I simply named our winery "Fred & BJs Cellar" which I don't hate. However, considering I am making wine to my liking, I wanted to consider perception by others. Our last name is Black so I was thinking if I go French it would be Chez Noir for House of Black or because I prefer Italian wines Casa D'Nero. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

The people that will most likely drink your wine will remember "House of Black" more than some name in a foreign language they can not remember or maybe even pronounce. So when they say, "Hey, lets get some of that..... er... um.... some Italian name.... Can't remember. Oh well, Vodka anyone?"

For example, which name would you remember: Armand de Brignac or Ace of Spades?

And here is a list of Napa Wineries, most are in English, mostly the owners name, and some boring names, but all easy to remember:

https://napavintners.com/wineries/all_wineries.asp

Besides, "House of Black", I like it. And it has some real interesting label design possibilities.

Just sayin'..... :h

I’d use the word Black and tie something else into it that is meaningful to you. It could then be a theme used across different labels. Like

Black Dog Cellars
Black Magic Winery
Black Eye Cellars
Black Out
Black Night Cellars

I'm sticking with Casa di Nero (and this is from an ardent lover of Anglo-Saxon root words over that Latinate stuff :D ).

(The only words in that preceding sentence, I believe, that were not from Old English were Latinate and ardent, and even ardent has been with us since Middle English.)

Last edited:
Has anyone else had a rough time naming their winery?

Oh, good grief, yes. It is not easy.

The more input you get the better. But, yes, one can start to over think it all. In the end you will know when it is "right". By the right tone, ring, length, etc etc etc. Just let the names you like them most roll off your lips for a few days. Literally speak them out loud. Then ask a friend to say, at some random time, "What is the name of your winery?" The one that pops first into your mind, that is the one. :h

Latest posts

Back