What's in a name

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got curious and used my translation app to see the correct spellings.
I dig both English and Italian. I also kinda like the French translations for Castle Black and other variations.
-Château du Noir
-Casa del Nero
-Castle Black
-Black Cellars
Or don't even follow rules
- Châteauneuf du Nero ! <---That ones a little much maybe.

For me I have kept it simple with 'Massa Vino'. That's what I started writing on my scotch tale labels years ago and just went with it. Even though it should be
Vino di Massa. But with this convo I'm now re-thinking.
I tend to ask myself "what would look badass woodburned on the end of my future barrel?"IMG_8359.jpgIMG_8360.jpg

When you see it, you'll know.

Many, myself included, get their Winery name from their own, or from where they live...town, street, even house number. But, it should be something personal to you, something you won't get tired of in a year.

I tried the translation on google, using Italian and French translations when naming the wines. But, it just didn't "fit."

Last edited:
I bottled and labeled my first 6 gallon batch a few days ago. I simply named our winery "Fred & BJs Cellar" which I don't hate. However, considering I am making wine to my liking, I wanted to consider perception by others. Our last name is Black so I was thinking if I go French it would be Chez Noir for House of Black or because I prefer Italian wines Casa D'Nero. Any thoughts or other suggestions?
I named my latest batch's "riot punch" and "the Rick James!"

they live up to there names...

the bench

How about tying in your love of boats....Black Mast Winery or Black Cutter Wines...something along those lines?

Would be good but we're thinking about selling the boat. Just think about it. Boat payment $6,000.00/yr, Slip fee $5,400.00/yr, insurance and electric $1,200/yr, mics and fuel $2,500.00/yr. That would pay for a good supply of grapes and fancy equipment.

Would be good but we're thinking about selling the boat. Just think about it. Boat payment $6,000.00/yr, Slip fee $5,400.00/yr, insurance and electric $1,200/yr, mics and fuel $2,500.00/yr. That would pay for a good supply of grapes and fancy equipment.

Boat (noun): A hole in the water in to which one pours money.

I sold my boat years ago, but still have the 'boatboy' name. Just because you sell it doesn't mean you can't use it in your label. ;)

That is only true if you don't have the ability to do repairs or maintenance yourself. It drives me crazy when my friends tell me how much they pay for repairs. Example, winterization cost at the marina is $2,500.00. I pay less then $100.00. I rebuild a transmission $85.00, marina cost $4,300.00.

And.... "To simulate the experience of boat ownership: stand in a cold shower while ripping up $100 bills."

(Don't hate me, Fred -- I am still hoping to buy myself a sailboat someday.....)

That is only true if you don't have the ability to do repairs or maintenance yourself. It drives me crazy when my friends tell me how much they pay for repairs. Example, winterization cost at the marina is $2,500.00. I pay less then $100.00. I rebuild a transmission $85.00, marina cost $4,300.00.
Your examples are much higher in the amounts, but I say the same thing about home improvement, repair, and maintenance. The thing is that not everyone has the same knowledge, equipment, or time. What would be a quick, cheap job for me might be costly, difficult, and time-consuming for the next guy. The guy in the next slip down might not even know what a transmission does, much less how to rebuild one.

HaHa, I just looked at your What's in my Cellar. Quite a collection but I don't see anything you made!

Actually, I stopped maintaining that out of being lazy hah. I could probably delete half of what's there and add a lot that isn't. (not including my own wines) I keep telling myself I'm going to go update it, but time hasn't been on my side lately. I should have done it during my 4-day weekend at Thanksgiving, but you know how that goes.

You know, Fred: The two best days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.

(Don't hate me, Fred -- I am still hoping to buy myself a sailboat someday.....)

Fred, while we are on the subject: I recall you posted either a link to a document or the document itself with the "proper" ritual for renaming boats. When I read that, I was unaware of the proscription (superstition?) against renaming boats. As I say, I am semi-interested in buying a boat, and would definitely be renaming it. Can you provide that link and/or document again? Thanks!

Back