What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home alone, me and the doggie. Had some frozen shrimps in the freezer, so decided some shrimp scampi would help keep the vampires and my wife away, lol. Served on some bucatini. Yum!
Wouldn't work on my wife ... but I'm ok with that ...

;)

Back door cool front came from the north, nice and breezy and cool today. It actually rained a bit yesterday evening, though the lightning/thunder terrorized the dog. Grilled up some fish tacos for lunch using some cajun spice I used for spicy chicken sandwiches for last nights dinner. Made a quickie coleslaw to serve along with some hot salsa and a cajun mayo I had left over. Yum!

6-4-23_fish-taco-1.jpg

6-4-23_fish-taco-2.jpg

The big easy is an oil less turkey fryer. Pretty similar results as the rotisserie, but I wasn't gonna try to spin a crown roast.

Turned out nice and juicy! The outside was like plain and kinda boring ribs, so I think I have to smoke the next one. don't get me wrong... It was delicious, but salt and pepper ribs vs smoke. There is no comparison.

PXL_20230610_014624341.jpg
PXL_20230610_015100598.jpg
PXL_20230610_021337990.jpg
PXL_20230610_021652374.jpg
PXL_20230610_022039483.jpg

Was gonna make a few pizzas for the neighbor's party, his youngest daughter as well as mine turned 16 this past week. But his wife bought him a present a few months ago, a sawdust burner, think it's a pit boss. So now the man who wouldn't eat chicken if it had a bone in it is cookin' up a big pork butt all day (fortunately down wind from my house) that has a big bone in the middle, lol.

So went to the neighbor on the right, she said she'd take one, later texted that her company stayed longer than expect, so took two pizzas. Moved the pizza steel (these were done inside) up a level in the new oven, next time will go up one more. Steel did hang around 540*F on the first pizza with the oven set at 500, so I think if I put the oven up to 550 I'll easily hit 600 (and stress the air conditioning system a bit more).

First pizza had some oil separation from the cheese, but other than that all went well. Last pizza not pictured was a true experiment, cut a normal 400g dough in half and rolled the crap out of it to get it thin (roman style). I have to say that both my wife and I loved it, you can eat way more thin slices than thicker NY style ones.

Will freeze some of the leftover doughs and haul the steel with me as the family heads north for the coming week. Will be curious how hot I can get that old oven at the cabin, I think it's from the mid 1980s if my mind hasn't atrophied too much.

Pizza was Yum!

6-10-23_pizza-1.jpg

6-10-23_pizza-2.jpg

6-10-23_pizza-3.jpg

I love it when I see @ceeaton posted to what's for dinner.

Oooooo. Is it pizza or cheese melted on stuff... Or stuffed in stuff? ;) 😄

Once you have seen my pizza night, there's not much to offer. I played it backwards tonight though. Pizza first, cheese fingers after. Much better. I wasn't stuffed when dinner was served.

Ham and pepperoni and Greek in honour of @ibglowin. Its a personal favourite.

PXL_20230611_015939348.jpg
PXL_20230611_020004253.jpg
Dropped in at about 750 F I think.

PXL_20230611_020431239.jpg
PXL_20230611_020901270.jpg
I'm am mostly posting to remind Bryan @winemaker81... You REALLY want one of these ovens!

I bought the guys pizza for lunch last week. Joe thinks its the best pizza place in town... I can't break it to him.😄

Even when I mess it up... Homemade destroys them all.

What did you smoke it on?

I am one of those folks who uses an electric smoker. I love it. Put three or four r chunks of apple, pecan, hickory, cherry, whatever into it, set the temp to 225 F (or whatever) walk away, when the meat temp reaches the final, take it out. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy.

Is yours wood or gas fired? When I build my pavilion it’s going to have a built in wood-fired pizza oven. I’ve heard they are great for bread and slow-cooking as they cool.
Gas, wood, and charcoal. The next time I make pizza I plan to try wood. Last night I started the dough at 5:30. We were fed and cleaned up by 8:30. I didn't think I needed another variable to extend the process.

I have always wanted to make a brick smoker/pizza oven. I am leaning more to getting a weber for smoking, I don't know why I haven't got the motivation back to build one. Maybe just so many years of not smoking, I gotta start small?

I am one of those folks who uses an electric smoker. I love it. Put three or four r chunks of apple, pecan, hickory, cherry, whatever into it, set the temp to 225 F (or whatever) walk away, when the meat temp reaches the final, take it out. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy.
I find your logic hard to argue with.

Would you mind sharing your model. I have no idea what I want to buy. I'm still sussing out the options.

Gas, wood, and charcoal. The next time I make pizza I plan to try wood. Last night I started the dough at 5:30. We were fed and cleaned up by 8:30. I didn't think I needed another variable to extend the process.

I have always wanted to make a brick smoker/pizza oven. I am leaning more to getting a weber for smoking, I don't know why I haven't got the motivation back to build one. Maybe just so many years of not smoking, I gotta start small?
Vinny, someday you need to try a longer fermented dough in the fridge (24-72 hours). The flavor is amazing, plus if you use hi-gluten flour (I normally use KA Sir Lancelot for NY style doughs), the dough becomes more workable the longer it ferments, as long as you warm it up a couple of hours before shaping.

I know, another variable, but one worth adding to the equation. Just ask @ibglowin !

Now if you're cooking at 800+ degrees, it's probably a Neapolitan style dough which usually is a shorter ferment...if so ignore the above suggestion.

Latest posts

Back