What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subway is 5 minutes away so it's easy. I think they're approaching the physical limit on how thin the meat can be sliced. In their defense, though, I certainly wouldn't want to own a restaurant in today's environment. It has to be tough.
I did a short consulting gig at Sarah Lee in the mid-90's. The staff at SL were laughing, as Subway was negotiating with SL -- SL's cheapest lunch meat was too expensive, and Subway wanted SL to make a lower quality meat at a lower price.

Restaurants are a risky proposition. I would not be up for it.

Did a test pizza for lunch. Did my normal steel on the bottom, cordierite stone up higher. Turns out this new oven has an exposed top (broiler) element, and it made a big difference. With the oven set at 550 for 90 minutes, steel ran at 530-ish, stone on top was 620-630 range. Still cooked the pizza initially on the steel, then moved to the stone to finish off the bottom. Next run I will switch the surfaces or maybe even just omit the stone and put the steel up higher.

5-20-23_pizza-1.jpg

5-20-23_pizza-2.jpg

Dove into the Pizza Camp book (Joe Beddia) and made some meatballs for subs. The recipe adds 2 lbs of ricotta cheese, I added a pound, and the meatballs pretty much fell apart after cooking for a few minutes in a tomato based sauce to finish. They were incredibly good, but next time I'll just keep warm in the oven and drizzle some tomato sauce on the sub roll when I serve, still pretty yum!

5-20-23_meatballs.jpg

Last night was only 1 ribeye in the freezer. I pulled out the only pack of tenderloin we got with the 1/4 beef..

Not sliced... How could I? I reverse seared it in the oven. Brought it to 134 F and finished at 500 for a glorious crust that I forgot to capture in all my excitement. PXL_20230522_235649121.jpgPXL_20230523_020912183.jpgRoasted onion. Tarragon merlot mushrooms, shrimps, a well loved potato, I deglazed the onion and roast pan for a juice so tasty I could drink it, and I couldn't cook the garden asparagus. too bright and tender.

Last edited:
And this was the big Saturday cook...

Roasted soup bones and chuck tenders.
PXL_20230521_183131289.jpgGinger and onionPXL_20230521_184122295.jpgAnise, cinnamon, coriander, fennel, and cloves.PXL_20230521_202832245.jpg
8 HOURS, I simmered this.... I managed to kick it up too much in the last 10 minutes and lose my beautiful clear broth. If there was a hissy fit emoji....
PXL_20230522_020855070.jpgPXL_20230522_020857513.jpg
I even made my own Asian Fire Oil. I used Chili de Arbol and Messila peppers from last years garden harvest. Holy hell... This stuff is usually lots of aromatics and a touch of heat. First taste I could hear Johnny Cash ringing in my ears... And it burns, burns, burns...
PXL_20230522_022919800.jpg
It is a beautiful bright red though!

Last edited:
I surprised Mrs. WM81 with grilled strip steak last night. Nope -- no pictures; if you've seen one medium-rare steak, you've seen 'em all.

We have found that the meat we buy at Costco are better quality than typically available in grocery stores, and consistently great. Large quantities, such as an entire beef strip, are normally a better price, so in this case I purchased an entire strip and cut it myself. Then we can pull a package out of the freezer every few weeks. :)

I surprised Mrs. WM81 with grilled strip steak last night. Nope -- no pictures; if you've seen one medium-rare steak, you've seen 'em all.

We have found that the meat we buy at Costco are better quality than typically available in grocery stores, and consistently great. Large quantities, such as an entire beef strip, are normally a better price, so in this case I purchased an entire strip and cut it myself. Then we can pull a package out of the freezer every few weeks. :)
That's like saying you've seen one pin up model, you've seen 'em all.

I still like to see them...

There is no doubt that I spend more at costco than I would anywhere else. I can't say that the buy more to save strategy works anywhere, but I do agree the quality is usually significantly better.

Garlic cheese pizza. Nothing but olive oil, garlic, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.

View attachment 101743

Add a little dried oregano to the oil and garlic with a sprinkle of cheddar to top it off and that is what we call cheese fingers around here. Always a crowd pleaser, and sometimes I have to wonder why I make anything else. A loaded pizza has to really hit the mark to beat the simplicity.

Latest posts

Back