What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Favorite Sammich of all time. Looks great. Home made pastrami is on my someday to-do list.
Mine too, Mike. Years ago I took it upon myself to find the best Reuben in the country and I tried them in places from coast to coast. I was working in Sales at the time and the job involved a lot of travel. The best one I ever found was in a little bar/restaurant in Columbus, Indiana. I do not recall the name of the establishment, but their Reuben was outstanding.

By the way, you misspelled "sangwige." ;)

I might have to give that a try. Did you make the corned beef? I can't do that to the beef brisket I have, it's getting the royal treatment. I do have a bison brisket which is much leaner and likely this is the perfect use for it.

Sadly, I have been through palm springs 3 times. 3 wasted opportunities, it seems.

I bought a packaged Corned Beef and then followed the directions on the recipe. I cooked it in a CI Dutch Oven for 3 hours at 325F and I was thinking thats not nearly enough time for a brisket to be "shredable" and it wasn't. So I had to cut it up and chop it by hand. Great flavor still. The pre-boil step helped take away some of the saltiness.

Sunday is going to be "pizza night", but have been watching so many Youtube videos and reading books that I had to do a trial run of New Haven style pizza tonight. Normally a NH style pizza is done in a coal or oil fired oven at a much higher temp that I can get in my oven. But modifying the hydration level (raising it) and using the broiler at the end, you can get a really good facsimile of the original. Really thin crust, so can eat a few more pieces and not fill up.

Mootz pizza:
3-24-23_pizza-1.jpg

Clam pizza:
3-24-23_pizza-2.jpg

went old Italian school
olive oil pasta -garlic with hot chile peppers and a little parmesan cheese on top
and chicken cutlets - corn bread on the side - and of course a little juice wash it down - my 2020 Dolceltto and Barbera blend

IMG_2597.jpg

Home alone with the doggie. Whipped up a sourdough 00 pizza crust last evening, was left out at room temps all night/day. Incredible flavor, easy to pull, loved it! Cooked inside, steel had a 565*F reading, finished it on top on the stone using the broiler. Bottom of the crust had some nice dark areas (leoparding).

3-31-23_neopolitan-pizza.jpg

Disturbed version...

Hellooo, Costco my oolllld frrrriend. I've come to dine withhhhh yooooo agaain.

PXL_20230401_023959650.jpg
PXL_20230401_023946876.jpg
Carrots and taters from the garden. The rest is the 2-3 times a year glutinous Costco feed.

Ribs and lamb chops waiting in the wings...

To be continued!

Attachments

• PXL_20230401_023942311.jpg
    PXL_20230401_023942311.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back