What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every now and then I make one of my recipes from my lo carb days because they're so darn good. This is crack slaw and it's called that because it's so good and addictive. Google crack slaw for hundreds of recipes. This is one of my favorites, Thai crack slaw - cabbage, coconut oil, salt, and a boatload of red curry paste. It's great with shrimp but I added some chicken breast that I canned 3 years ago.
It was a spur of the moment thing - red pepper or carrots would have added some nice color.

View attachment 99208
Can you post the red thai curry you use? I love me some cabbage, and red thai curry is so flavor packed you can't go wrong.

Yesterday I cooked a port butt in the crock pot with leftover Marsala, seasoned salt, cumin, garlic, and oregano -- it proved tasty. I also got the tortilla press out and made corn tortillas again.

The recipe (2 cups masa, 1/2 tsp salt, 1-1/4 cups water) says to divide the dough in 16 portions, which never come out even, so the tortilla size can vary a lot. I got out the kitchen scale and experimenting by weight, to produce tortillas that are roughly the largest my press can handle.

Turns out 60-62 g works great! I get less tortillas out of a batch, but they are consistently sized.

Pork tacos with salsa and sour cream.

tacos.jpg

Tonight was leftover night, and I discovered the tortillas don't reheat well. They taste good, but are stiff and crack. They are best fresh, although I certainly enjoyed a second night of tacos!

Can you post the red thai curry you use? I love me some cabbage, and red thai curry is so flavor packed you can't go wrong.
I tried the curry paste in the grocery store and thought it was bland. A trip to an Asian store a couple times a year is always worthwhile and fun. Some day maybe I'll buy the fresh eels they sell. :oops:
paste 2.jpgpaste 1.jpg

Vinny - - I Tried the olive oil dough you mentioned from the Artisan Bread in 5 book. You were right. The dough just about stretches itself out. Easiest dough to shape into pizza crust that I ever handled. I used AP flour and was a bit disappointed in the flavor. Next time I'll use Caputo. I think that'll make a big difference.

1678309904368.png

Vinny - - I Tried the olive oil dough you mentioned from the Artisan Bread in 5 book. You were right. The dough just about stretches itself out. Easiest dough to shape into pizza crust that I ever handled. I used AP flour and was a bit disappointed in the flavor. Next time I'll use Caputo. I think that'll make a big difference.
How long does it ferment? Usually that determines the final flavor, more time = more flavor, to a point. Adding some sourdough discard adds a decent amount of flavor if you want a same day or next day dough.

View attachment 99229
Hmm, I always found it to be quite flavorful.

I got the recipe from my sister in law. She says the best pies she has made were when she got distracted and stretched out the time. I usually do a full rise in the oven, then I split them and give them another 45+ to proof on the counter.

Looks pretty tasty!

Those pizza fingers I post, looks like a boring cheese pizza, are amazing with this dough. I always make them first, and it is hard to keep your hands off them, leaving enough room for when the first pizza comes out. It's just a few good glugs of olive oil with a minced garlic clove and a few shakes of oregano mixed in. Spread that on your crust and sprinkle on some mozza, cheddar, and lots of parm. I am not permitted to make anything else first.

Glad you tried it. Let me know how the other flour turns out.

Last edited:
How long does it ferment? Usually that determines the final flavor, more time = more flavor, to a point. Adding some sourdough discard adds a decent amount of flavor if you want a same day or next day dough.
The recipe calls for only a two hour rise which is about all I let it go. Perhaps letting it sit in the fridge for a few days would help.

Hmm, I always found it to be quite flavorful.

I got the recipe from my sister in law. She says the best pies she has made were when she got distracted and stretched out the time. I usually do a full rise in the oven, then I split them and give them another 45+ to proof on the counter.

Looks pretty tasty!

Those pizza fingers I post, looks like a boring cheese pizza, are amazing with this dough. I always make them first, and it is hard to keep your hands off them, leaving enough room for when the first pizza comes out. It's just a few good glugs of olive oil with a minced garlic clove and a few shakes of oregano mixed in. Spread that on your crust and sprinkle on some mozza, cheddar, and lots of parm. I am not permitted to anything else first.

Glad you tried it. Let me know how the other flour turns out.
See my reply to ceeaton above. I only let it rise for a bit over 2 hours.

Cold day, needed to warm up the kitchen. Enchilada casserole, beef base, lot's of cheese, corn tortillas as a base and on top (sorta like a Mexican lasagna). Didn't make it really spicy, but I think this dish could handle a ton more of the warmer varieties of peppers.

3-10-23_enchillada-casserole.jpg

Can't post the recipe I followed since it's from a customers magazine we publish. But this one is close, just need to make the enchilada sauce and not use the canned stuff, plus use 45 oz canned tomato sauce to make the sauce.

https://momsdinner.net/beef-enchilada-casserole/
Oh, and toast the corn tortillas in a skillet beforehand, makes them keep from getting too chewy when the casserole is baked.

Last edited:
I tried the curry paste in the grocery store and thought it was bland. A trip to an Asian store a couple times a year is always worthwhile and fun. Some day maybe I'll buy the fresh eels they sell. :oops:
View attachment 99224View attachment 99223
I tried crack cabbage last night. I will have to revisit it. The red curry paste I have has WAY too much fish sauce in it.

I tried crack cabbage last night. I will have to revisit it. The red curry paste I have has WAY too much fish sauce in it.
Good for you.
The first time I made it I'd say it was good but not great but I knew there was potential. And like I said, there are hundreds of crack slaw recipes out there. Cabbage is a wonderful ingredient.

Now that I think of it, my grandmother was making a crack slaw 60+ years ago. Fry bacon, cook cabbage in bacon grease, chop bacon and add to cabbage. Simple and good!

It was a little late when I got the house wrapped up today.

I was thawing ground beef for egg roll in a bowl. Apparently a crack slaw recipe.. But I opened the fridge and saw that I had bought chow mein noodles. It was a no brainer. Fast and a personal favourite.

PXL_20230315_022247525.jpg

Just because this isn't Facebook and we often share the reality, i'll admit I think keeping the house construction free has me rattled.

The what's for dinner behind the scenes is never this!

PXL_20230315_021326376.jpg

Latest posts

Back