What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned, I haven't been able to eat beef for 5 years. I also haven't been able to smoke any food either. All of my rib pics were cheat methods I have learned to get them tender with a good bark, but they were never smoked.

I picked up a 1/4 beef yesterday and I now have in my possession the holy grail of BBQ cuts. The Brisket! There is only one choice as far as what to do with it, but I need some guidance.

It is labelled rolled brisket. Should I leave it as is, or just unroll it. It's wrapped in freezer paper so I can't see it, I just want a rough idea of what I am getting into before I start a serious BBQ day.

Got a good recipe, or a write up you follow on technique?

Brisket - this is what I do.
Trimming
Rub:
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup garlic salt
1/2 cup paprika
3 tbsps pepper
2 tbsps chili powder
1 tbsp of ginger, onion powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, powdered beef bullion
Some people use just salt and pepper, some use mustard to help the rub stay on. (You don’t taste the mustard in the end).

Mesquite wood, or hickory @ 200F.
I let it cook until it’s at 195F in the middle.
It has taken me 14-23 hours

My smoker is a Bradley (electric). To some, not a real smoker, but it tastes as good or better than brisket on traditional smokers.
There are all kinds of recipes/techniques out there.

As I mentioned, I haven't been able to eat beef for 5 years. I also haven't been able to smoke any food either. All of my rib pics were cheat methods I have learned to get them tender with a good bark, but they were never smoked.

I picked up a 1/4 beef yesterday and I now have in my possession the holy grail of BBQ cuts. The Brisket! There is only one choice as far as what to do with it, but I need some guidance.

It is labelled rolled brisket. Should I leave it as is, or just unroll it. It's wrapped in freezer paper so I can't see it, I just want a rough idea of what I am getting into before I start a serious BBQ day.

We do salt, pepper, and Penzy's roasted garlic for the rub.

I'd unwrap and see what it looks like, and do a trim as needed. You'll need either pink butcher paper or heavy duty aluminum foil.

I have an offset smoker so did it like this recipe/process: Texas Brisket - on an Offset Smoker

I also used mesquite.

Lucky you!
It may be heretical but I haven't BBQ'd a brisket yet.
Beef Barbacoa is fantastic!
And corned beef is to die for but takes almost two weeks to make.
BBQ is on my list.

Pizza the other night when the weather warmed up.
I have made the Ken Forkish “The Elements of Pizza” dough recipes, but I like this beer dough one the best:
https://www.fontanaforniusa.com/blogs/news/63-hydrated-pizza-dough-with-a-twistAt least so far….I’m still learning!
Margherita pizza in the oven. Sausage, artichoke, pepper and onion on the board.
I love the pizza oven!

Not sure where they come up with 63% hydration, 470 ml water + 100 ml beer / 1000 g dough = 57% hydration...but with a hot quick cook like you are doing, lower hydration is better! (Never mind, just realized they added 60 g of olive oil...never do that so it didn't catch my attention (470 + 100 + 60 = 630...).)

Crappy weather here, sideways wet snow is now sideways cold rain (taking the dog out to relieve herself is an interesting experience). Two kids are working, one kid is participating in the first night of the HS musical, wifey is helping out, so it's me and the dog. Picked up some cheap frozen shrimps ($13 for 2 lbs, farm raised in India, at least not China, no added lead) and whipped up a seafood linguini. Almost bought some fresh clams, but went for the canned minced ones instead. Added some farmers market asparagus and plenty of parmesan cheese. Turned out yum!

3-3-23_shrimp-pasta.jpg

We do salt, pepper, and Penzy's roasted garlic for the rub.

I'd unwrap and see what it looks like, and do a trim as needed. You'll need either pink butcher paper or heavy duty aluminum foil.

I have an offset smoker so did it like this recipe/process: Texas Brisket - on an Offset Smoker

I also used mesquite.
i'm a big smoker - love doing brisket
i like the to follow the texas style - salt, pepper,grarlic and onion powder, with a sprinkle of celery seed
i always use post oak or hickory -temp is set at 225
i wrap in butcher paper i put on a good layer on beef tallow
they key is to let it rest - i let mine rest in a cooler for bout 3-4hours
i like watching videos from Aron Frankin, Malcom Reed(bbq right) and Slap Yo Daddy BBQ -they all have great advice and techniques

i'm a big smoker - love doing brisket
i like the to follow the texas style - salt, pepper,grarlic and onion powder, with a sprinkle of celery seed
i always use post oak or hickory -temp is set at 225
i wrap in butcher paper i put on a good layer on beef tallow
they key is to let it rest - i let mine rest in a cooler for bout 3-4hours
i like watching videos from Aron Frankin, Malcom Reed(bbq right) and Slap Yo Daddy BBQ -they all have great advice and techniques
You take it off the bbq and keep it warm in the cooler for 3-4 hours before serving?

This is very intriguing. I love the flavor of chuck.

What do our resident sous vide'rs have to say on the subject?

I say "Yes!" Chuck is perhaps the prototypical example of the power of sous vide. I have done chuck steaks and roasts with great outcomes.

You take it off the bbq and keep it warm in the cooler for 3-4 hours before serving?
always- rest is the key - if u cut right away it dries out instantly - i do the same with pork butt
i let all my meat rest - steak, chops, chicken for at least 15 minutes
u work so hard to get it juicy/tender - waiting a few minutes is totally worth it

always- rest is the key - if u cut right away it dries out instantly - i do the same with pork butt
i let all my meat rest - steak, chops, chicken for at least 15 minutes
u work so hard to get it juicy/tender - waiting a few minutes is totally worth it
I always rest, but 3-4 hours is surprising. I followed a turkey resting recipe that claimed you should rest it for as long as you cook it. Guess I missed the cooler part. It was nothing special because it had cooled down a lot.

Latest posts

Back