What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the obligatory jalapeños, of course!
They are far more generous with them, that's for sure.

There was no liquor on the menu. We asked, No cerveca? He spoke no English, and my Spanish is weak, but we were pleased when he said oh, cerveca, ci, tecate, sol? I said XX. He asked 2? No, uno, thinking I'll just order another later.

OK.

He jumped on the pizza delivery bike and raced down the road, we could hear him all the way to the liquor store, where he bought us cold beer. When you are used to not being able to bring your own drinks, its easy to get caught off guard. The next family that came in brought their own, and he opened them for him.

Different worlds.

Jalapenos are for sissies. Real men use habaneros. 🥵🥵🥵
Guess that makes me a sissy. 😄

I have some habanero sauces, but have never cooked with them. I find it interesting how the mouth registers the heat. Jalapeños warm the front of my mouth, habaneros the middle, birds eyes heat the body and give you a slight throat cough.

I prefer the others to habanero unless used moderately. I'm not a fan of a ten minute burn. I prefer accenting foods, not overpowering, but we all have our own tolerance levels.

Guess that makes me a sissy. 😄

I have some habanero sauces, but have never cooked with them. I find it interesting how the mouth registers the heat. Jalapeños warm the front of my mouth, habaneros the middle, birds eyes heat the body and give you a slight throat cough.

I prefer the others to habanero unless used moderately. I'm not a fan of a ten minute burn. I prefer accenting foods, not overpowering, but we all have our own tolerance levels.
Vinny, when I was younger, I used to eat all the hot stuff I could get my hands on. I put Red Hot or Tabasco on just about any meats that I ate and whenever I made a sandwich, I would pile on the hot cherry peppers. In my first job, people used to bring in stuff for me to try and I had the reputation that I could eat just about anything hot. One day a fellow named Al Johnson (not his original name because he was from one of the Eastern European countries) brought in a purple concoction for me to try. He said, "I hear you like hot stuff, try this!" It was in a Gerber baby food jar, was a purple color about the consistency of horseradish. I took a spoonful and I thought my head was going to burst into flames, but I kept my cool and said, "Yeah, that is not too bad," and walked away leaving Al, his mouth hanging open, with his snuff in his lower cheek. I walked up to the Engineering Office as calmly as possible, went in the front door and directly out the back to the men's room and guzzled as much cold water as I could as fast as I could. I did not know at the time that water was about the worst thing one could take to relieve the heat. When I traveled on business to the Far East, and tried some of their various chilis, they served bread and honey to sop up the capsaicin. Water just spreads the oil down through your throat and esophagus.

I have no idea what it was in Al's mixture, it was some kind of Eastern European e.g. Hungarian or Bulgarian, concoction. It is still the hottest thing I have ever eaten. With age, I still like hot stuff but it does not like me as much anymore.

Vinny, when I was younger, I used to eat all the hot stuff I could get my hands on. I put Red Hot or Tabasco on just about any meats that I ate and whenever I made a sandwich, I would pile on the hot cherry peppers. In my first job, people used to bring in stuff for me to try and I had the reputation that I could eat just about anything hot. One day a fellow named Al Johnson (not his original name because he was from one of the Eastern European countries) brought in a purple concoction for me to try. He said, "I hear you like hot stuff, try this!" It was in a Gerber baby food jar, was a purple color about the consistency of horseradish. I took a spoonful and I thought my head was going to burst into flames, but I kept my cool and said, "Yeah, that is not too bad," and walked away leaving Al, his mouth hanging open, with his snuff in his lower cheek. I walked up to the Engineering Office as calmly as possible, went in the front door and directly out the back to the men's room and guzzled as much cold water as I could as fast as I could. I did not know at the time that water was about the worst thing one could take to relieve the heat. When I traveled on business to the Far East, and tried some of their various chilis, they served bread and honey to sop up the capsaicin. Water just spreads the oil down through your throat and esophagus.

I have no idea what it was in Al's mixture, it was some kind of Eastern European e.g. Hungarian or Bulgarian, concoction. It is still the hottest thing I have ever eaten. With age, I still like hot stuff but it does not like me as much anymore.
You should have given him a little recognition, when you recovered. Hey, that was pretty hot, what was it? Then at least you would know your match!

Last edited:
Not for dinner tonight (pizza night), but most likely tomorrow or Tuesday evening. Small batch of chicken thigh sausage, cold smoking it at the moment. Almost bought a dedicated smoker yesterday, but decided on the $4.99 dowel rods to hang them in the Weber Bullet smoker. Using some cherry sawdust today...

2-26-23_snausage.jpg

2-26-23_smokin.jpg

That front left the West coast and hit us this morning. More 70mph winds today and of course I was determined to grill a couple of burgers tonight for dinner. Thought about doing it inside but no I can pull this off........ LOL

30F, 30MPH winds and a driving snowstorm! Had to put the Weber on high to grill a couple of Prime Chuck patties but it was worth it! :db

IMG_9196.HEIC.jpeg

Picked up a bag of hi-gluten flour for future meals. Fun to get it in the house dry with it pouring rain. Of course once I got it in the house it stopped. Will great for long ferment pizza doughs.

2-27-23_hi-gluten-flour.jpg

Monday is a good day to make something off the wall that the "girls" would never eat, since my wifey works 1 1/2 shifts. Found an interesting recipe when I was searching for a ragù recipe I've made in the past, a co-worker wanted a copy. Lamb is the major protein, the house smells wonderful!

2-27-23_lamb-ragu.jpg

https://www.daringgourmet.com/wprm_print/65485
Edit: The actual meal was wonderful. I like this ragù better than the beef based one.

Last edited:
Picked up a bag of hi-gluten flour for future meals. Fun to get it in the house dry with it pouring rain. Of course once I got it in the house it stopped. Will great for long ferment pizza doughs.

View attachment 99005

Monday is a good day to make something off the wall that the "girls" would never eat, since my wifey works 1 1/2 shifts. Found an interesting recipe when I was searching for a ragù recipe I've made in the past, a co-worker wanted a copy. Lamb is the major protein, the house smells wonderful!

View attachment 99006

https://www.daringgourmet.com/wprm_print/65485
Edit: The actual meal was wonderful. I like this ragù better than the beef based one.
Nice!
I love King Arthur.
You go through flour like crazy so this shouldn't matter, but when I stock up with on-sale flour I vacuum seal the unopened bags. Supposed to extend lifetime by at least a year. From experience, it does.

Nice!
I love King Arthur.
You go through flour like crazy so this shouldn't matter, but when I stock up with on-sale flour I vacuum seal the unopened bags. Supposed to extend lifetime by at least a year. From experience, it does.
You are correct, I blow through this stuff pretty quickly. Not on sale, but less than $33 for the 50 lb sack from my local restaurant supply store. I pick it up there, so no shipping, saves a ton on shipping costs.

My after dinner project was to fill up 2 gallon ziplock bags, they hold around 10 pounds each, so five bags and the job is done. Just keeping the moisture away extends the life quite a bit. Plus the 55-60* temps in the basement help. Wasn't optimal it was raining/sleeting when I brought the sack in...

2-27-23_flour-2.jpg

Time to whip up a poolish for some bagels tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back